Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious on this one... 454 with 10.5:1 in a 68.. problem was that it was running HOT..i mean HOT.. couldn't really work on it after it was running for a while since the block, valve covers, and intake was so hot.. anyway, developed a spark knock/ping on the odd side of the motor and attributed it to heat.. tried everything to cool it down with no success.. finally noticed bubbles in the coolant.. blown head gasket... my question is why did that cause so much heat build up for what seems to be like a minor blow in the head gasket (of course, if there is such a thing).. or, when i pull the heads off this saturday am i gonna see that the whole bottom end of my motor is gonna need to be redone or is just the gasket gonna do it? enough info?.. thanks..

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
A little water shouldn't cause any permanent damage, just change the oil and filter several times after you get it running again. Let it idle for 10 minutes and change the oil, repeat as required. If the oil looks gray or milky, do it again. And fix the overheating! It's possible that the head gasket problem caused the overheating, or the other way around. For a 454, you want a 23", 3 or 4 core radiator, and a real fan, with a shroud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts