Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see (and have) replacement package trays. My repro is covered with a cloth that hides the speaker openings (not original, I know). My car originally came with rear speakers, but the original tray was pretty messed up and had no covering (though it looked like one had been ripped off it.) Does anyone know what the original tray should look like? What covering was originally on it? Does anyone know of an accurate reproduction?

·
Registered
67 RS
1,178 Posts

Rick's IN-4
$19
It is an accurate reproduction.
Really though, I would not worry too much about the package tray unless you are restoring and then selling. It is too easy for anyone to replace the package tray. If you like the clean lines of the one you bought, go for it.

But, FYI. The cars back in the 70's were really big on radio's and stereo. Anyone driving and working on the cars saw the 2 speakers in the rear all the time. No one will give that much thought. So if you want the speakers on the package tray, I would not worry about that either. It is really one of those items you will be cut a lot of slack.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dale. I was just curious as to whether it was originally cardboard, or vinyl covered, or whatever. AND when the factory installed the speakers did they just cut holes in the standard shelf, or was there a special shelf for that? The seats are still out and if I wanted to change it I'd do it now.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Original tray is black painted cardboard. I replaced mine with what you have.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Another selling point for the cloth ones is that you don't get sun glare like the painted cardboard ones. For years I covered my original package tray with a hunk of low-pile carpet for that very reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts