Team Camaro Tech banner

Paddle Shifted 4L60E Overdrive Automatic

24K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Keisler 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

We are looking for some ProTouring Camaros that will be on the show-n-go circuit next year that are looking to make an upgrade to our Paddle Shifted A-41 Overdrive automatic. This transmission will replace Turbo 350/400, 700R4/200R4, 4L60, 4L80, 4L80E.

The key feature with our product is the fact that we have added engine braking to 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, so the free-wheeling is gone (except in 4th). The result is a connected feeling and control just like a manual transmission, but with the convenience of an automatic. And this is a Hydramatic automatic, not an automated manual transmission.

The paddle shifter is easy to wire up - just horn power and that it. It's wireless connection to the receiver unit, which plugs up to our controller. And the paddle shifter has a nice large bright LED display that allows you to display from more than a dozen data points to monitor - vehicle speed, engine rpm, throttle position, coolant temp, turbine speed, torque converter lockup, etc.

When you going into paddle shift mode, you just switch the Dual Mode switch from Cruise to High Performance, put the gear selector in OD, then you have full manual control over every gear 1st through 4th. In fact, just like a manual, you have to upshift and downshift with the paddles, or you will remain in that gear.

For track courses, this is ideal. You can keep your hands on the wheel, and be in full control of what gear your are in. With the engine braking and no free-wheeling, you can get the most out of your car and driving skill.

You can learn more about this transmission here.

Also, here is a raw of my ProTouring '71 Cuda with this transmission.

We do these as complete kits, there is no cutting whatsoever, and I'd like to offer some special discounts to those of you willing to help us promote the product at your shows.

No salesman speak here ... this transmission is simply incredible.

Attachments

See less See more
1 5
#2 ·
Cool stuff. This automatic transmission technoligy has come a long way. Last year I rode in a Twist Machine Paddle shifted 4L65 with the muscle drive converter (engine braking converter) and it was awesome. I was so impressed I will be putting a Twist Machine / Bowler Transmission 4L80E version of this set up in my personal street racer.

#3 ·
...4L65 with the muscle drive converter (engine braking converter) and it was awesome...
Prodigy Customs,
thanks.
The "engine braking converter" you mention is not something we are using. Our transmission actually has modified hydraulics and electronics, along with changes to the sprag clutches, rollers, etc. You might want to check with Mark on that e/b converter.

What is the retail on a Bowler 450HP/450TQ setup with a Twist machine setup, all in with crossmember, driveshaft, Camaro Horseshoe shifter gate and lens, trans cooler, lines, wiring harness, computer, hardware, torque converter and flex plate? I know our product is a lot less, but I'd like to hear from a Bowler dealer like yourself.

The TM stuff is cool, but they don't have the display. Here's a picture of the my customer's car with our A-41 and the Twist Machine shifter. It's a bit more flashy but very cool also.

Attachments

#8 ·
:D

Our product is a proprietary unit made for us by PCS, since 2006. TCI also changed over to PCS, sometime in 2007 I think. While the packaging looks similar, they are not interchangeable.

Our unit has additional features, like the Dual Mode Cruise/Performance switch. It also has a TPS Setup Wizard to make the TPS setup foolproof and easy.

All of our units are preprogrammed and don't require a laptop unless the TPS Setup Wizard is used. While we can offer a hardware handheld, it doesn't make financial sense since most people have a computer, even a desktop, and can hook up to our controller via USB or Serial cable.

Really, laptops are so cheap now used (around $100-300), and having one allows easy access to all of the really cool features of our product like data logging, real time playback, dashboard screen, part throttle, full throttle curves, etc. You can make adjustments at the track, test, adjust, etc. :cool:

#12 ·
Eric1967,

When you flip the Dual Mode switch into High Performance mode, this will put the transmission in full Manual control. It will not upshift or downshift without your paddle touch. So, you what ever gear you paddle-up or paddle-down - 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th - what ever - it will stay in that gear until you tell it to shift by bumping the + or - paddle.

When you flip the Dual Mode switch back to Cruise mode, the transmission will be in full auto mode. You can bump the + or - paddle, and the transmission will not shift until its parameters tell it to. In other words, the paddle has no operation in Cruise mode.

Does this answer the question? If not please ask more ... that's what I'm here for.:thumbsup:

#13 ·
Shafi, just to get a lil more specific...

Automatics (stockers) I have dealt with had safety's. As an example, even a 1968 model T350 just plain will not downshift to first at 75 mph no matter what I do with the gearshift. Modern e model transmissions won't shift into reverse when the car is moving.

A race manual valve body trans does not have any safeguards.

Does the a41 still have the safeguards when in performance mode?

And in cruise mode, are the paddles completely dead, you have to use the horseshoe shifter?

#15 · (Edited)
Shafi, just to get a lil more specific...

Automatics (stockers) I have dealt with had safety's. As an example, even a 1968 model T350 just plain will not downshift to first at 75 mph no matter what I do with the gearshift. Modern e model transmissions won't shift into reverse when the car is moving.

A race manual valve body trans does not have any safeguards.

Does the a41 still have the safeguards when in performance mode?

And in cruise mode, are the paddles completely dead, you have to use the horseshoe shifter?
JimM,

Great questions, and I received some related ones from ls427ss (Larry) also. So, I'd like to address all of these with the answers I gave to Larry, plus the additional ones from you.

1) QUESTION: Does the engine braking work like a turbo 350/400 or more direct line a standard trans. The light speed shifting possibilities both up & down are interesting to say the least.
ANSWER: the engine braking would be similar to turbo 350/400 when you manual shift it through the gears. Notice the transmission performs differently when you manually shift it versus putting it in D and running it up the gears.

2) QUESTION: a) Does it have enough engine braking to lock the tires downshifting if you shift under road racing conditions @ high RPM or just fooling around? - AND- b) Does the a41 still have the safeguards when in performance mode?
ANSWER: a) oh yes, *IF*you were to change the parameters. Basically the computer looks at the redline we (or you) program it to be, then does a calculation to see if your commanded downshift will maintain the RPM within that max limit. So, if you run the redline limit up to say 10,000 rpm, you might be able to command the transmission to downshift and loose control of the car. b) in Cruise/Normal mode, the transmission is full controlled by the computer, and will run to the limits preset by us (or you)

3) QUESTION: In cruise mode, are the paddles completely dead, you have to use the horseshoe shifter?
ANSWER: The paddle shifter display will always show the gear you are in, PLUS the additional multifunction display you select (if any; if no additional parameter selected, only the engaged gear will show). Now this is a very important function to understand: The Paddle Shifter only controls up and down shifting while the gear lever is positioned to the OD position. The Paddle Shifter, under no circumstances, will shift you out of Park, to Reverse, Neutral or Drive. You must do that manually.

I think that answers your's and Larry's questions. If not, please reply here and I'll explain more detail.

Here's a question to you folks:
What do you think about me doing an in-car video where I explain the operation in car, plus do some driving with the camera on the paddle shifter & dash? I have the video/audio equipment, and was thinking this might be a good way to explain it to others. Like a virtual demo, per se.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.