Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get an idea of what paint and body work should cost. Here is my starting point. It is in real good shape. Just a couple of things, the drivers side rear quarter was replaced at some point and the weld on the lip of the wheel well has broken. I am planning on having the shell blasted so I can see exactly what I am dealing and hopefully no big suprises. I am planning on having the body work done to epoxy primer and then assemble the car to make sure everything is working and fabricated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well from my experience just going through this myself here's my take. It would be impossible to tell you what to expect to spend. I know you are just trying to get an idea, I've been there myself. But a good paint job can cost you as much as you want to put in it.

What I mean is how good of a job do you want? How long are you willing to wait for it to get done? Are you wanting high end materials used? Also good luck finding someone who will do what they say and not keep the car for a LONG time.

Your car looks like it's in really good shape. But you have no idea what's under all that paint until you get it all off. I don't know the history of your car or how long you've had it, but alot can be hidden under paint. That's why I didn't want to buy a really slick recently painted car.

Also without knowing you it's hard to talk to someone and see what their definition of a GOOD paint job is. I have been doing a frame off on my 69 for two years. 12 months of this has been trying to get it painted. First guy I took it to kept it 8 months and did nothing. So I brought it home stripped it to bare metal, sprayed it with epoxy primer, and fixed all the imperfections in the body. Then I 2K primered and blocked and blocked and blocked. Then I took it to a guy to spray and stripe. He's had it 4 months, and I'm supposed to pick it up this weekend. But he works a regular job and does this on the side. He also encountered a few problems here and there. So don't expect it to go fast.

I know a few guys who have had cars painted recently. They had theirs done very quick and are tickled to death with them. They can't understand why it has taken me so long and why I had to spend so much time blocking mine. But after looking at their cars it made me realize why I had been working so hard, and why mine was taking longer. Theirs looked like crap! Their idea of a good paint job and mine vary tremendously.

·
Registered
873 Posts
A lot depends on how much of the car you are going to take apart, but for starters heres a suggestion.

This involves some work on your part, but it will be well worth it.

You'll need a digital camera, floor jack, couple of jack stands, and a good light.

I would get close up pictures, and close up like 14 or 16 inches away.

Underneath the car, of

floor supports

floor pans

beside the back wheel, above the axle, where the body and inner wheel well are sandwiched together

where the floor supports connect to the rocker panels

inside the trunk

under neath the back bumper, on both sides, so you can show the area up under the trunk

behind the front wheel, underneath where the door and body meet

one on each corner of the front and back windows, in the lower outside corners

This will take a little time, but then post your pictures on here, and you should get a pretty good idea what your up against

Good luck, and by the way, that is a really nice looking camaro you have.

Also you seem like a pretty stand up type guy, came off the cash and joined the site on your first post.

Rob

·
Registered
912 Posts
A few more suggestions I thought of to add to Rob's advice.

Go to some car shows and so forth and look at the local cars. The cars that you like find out who painted them. Find out if they were happy with how they were treated. It might also give you an idea of prices in your area.

Alot of the good painters around here that do older cars have a waiting list to paint cars. Not saying that is the case with you. But if it is, and you start looking now and find someone you want to do your car. You can be moving up the waiting list while you're getting your car ready to take to them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
ck2, its funny you mentioned that, I did the exact thing, guy had a older corvette, asked him who painted it, anyway I saved his number, called him two years later, he did a really nice job, and he was surprised that i called him.

He was at a car show.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
As Rob and ck_2 said, it all depends on how far you want to go and what shape the body is in. Paint hides a lot of problems in the short term, but over time it all catches up with you. I'm in the process of restoring my 69 (see my signature) and will endorse what ck_2 says about body preparation prior to painting. I don't want to think about the hours that I and my buddies have in bodywork, primer, block sanding, more body work, more primer, more guide coat, more block sanding, more primer.......... you get the message. Do your research and find a comfort zone on what you want to do yourself and what you would prefer a professional to do. It looks like the car is in decent shape so I would enjoy it this summer while doing the planning for the changes you want to make. Good luck on the project.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, guys it's not good news. I just had the car blasted and the floors and substructure are good, but the quarters and top are awful. It is amazing how crap could be covered up. HRCS is doing the work and he is recommending replacing the whole body as it would be cheaper than to repair. As soon as I get pictures I will post them. Any of you guys have a similar experience? Did you get a Dynacorn body? Any comments? Thanks.
To be continued.........:mad:

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
What???? A full roof skin,pair of quarters complete are under $1000 in parts.Add $500 for all four new steel drip rails and roof under braces. Yes there is labor, but the full bodies are $13500! You can buy alot of sheetmetal repair for that kind of money IMO.... Not sure what all could be so bad as to necessitate a new body, would need to see pics first.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I hear you Dennis, but at $95 per hour, thats 142 hours to justify the cost of a new body. Sounds like they need to replace the quarters and roof skin. I did my roof myself,and I'm far from an expert, and it took 5 hours. The quarters took longer,taking roughly 10-12 hours each side,which included a new tail pan,deck filler panel,and outer wheelwells. Knocked it all out in a weekend. It just sounds to me like the bodyshop is pretty proud of their parts and labor charges. IMO, if he did go for a new body,he might as well learn how to paint himself like alot of guys on this site,since at that point there is really no bodywork needed. Just trying to think of ways to save our Camaro brother some dollars here, and still have him get a nice result.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Just trying to think of ways to save our Camaro brother some dollars here, and still have him get a nice result.
...and to still have a mostly original car, not a kit car...

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
"he is recommending replacing the whole body as it would be cheaper than to repair"

WoW! That just blows me away... I am really looking forward to seeing your pix of the car after blasting it. I kind agree with Bob, if they want to do all that then I would look into the cost of you doing alot of the work yourself.

I mean even if your not that good with tools you can go buy yourself a welder/tools, all the sheetmetal/mat's needed, and take a class on auto body at a local tech school for less than the cost of a new rear shell.

Just like when you get bad news from your Dr. you get a 2nd opinion... do so here also! Also try to find someone who does the work on the side and is reputable, that is a stronger option than going their route imo.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
"he is recommending replacing the whole body as it would be cheaper than to repair"

WoW! That just blows me away...
Same here. The car looks so clean in the pics that I can't fathom replacing the entire body. What kind of damage are we talking about here?:confused:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I can't tell you how many times a "nice" car is blasted and found to be a rust bucket. Not to infer that is the case here, but until it is in bare metal you will have no idea what you are in for.

If you are only in need of a top and two quarters, you will be looking at $3k+ at a good shop for labor. Paint will be 5k and up for decent work. There really is no bargains if you want good work.

That is one reason that really nice cars sell for such big money. It takes a lot to get one really sharp and be solid in terms of sheet metal without hack work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies....I won't be able to see it until next Thursday so I will get lots of pictures and post them. It just gives me this sinking feeling in my stomach. We will see how bad it really is. I am usually optimistic so my opinion may differ. To be continued.....:sad:

Robert

1 - 20 of 24 Posts