Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I'm assembling my new 350 and can't decide whether or not to paint the cast alum parts. I've got a new cast alum intake, water pump, fuel pump, water neck and alternator. I definitely want the cast look but have seen too many yellowed and dirty intakes. This is an "anti-bling" motor (no chrome or polished alum!). Fabricated anod alum valve covers and air cleaner. March machined pulleys. Block and heads painted "cast iron" gray.

Should I simply use a dusting of aluminum engine paint or is there something else better? I'm afraid it may be too glossy. How about some alum high temp exhaust paint?

Opinions please. I want to do this right.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Look for some "alum-a-blast" rattle can alum color heat paint and lightly dust everything. It really allows everything to take on a better color match and the more porous or grainy surfaces will get filled in some and not whick fuel and coolant leaving hard to clean stains. A light, dry dusting and the parts won't look painted over at all...

Here's an old Torker I just recently glass beaded and lightly dusted...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
if it was my motor, everything but the accessory brackets would be chevy orange..

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Great look Dennis!
I tried to talk my machine shop into glass beading my aluminum and they refused. Said heads and manifolds could easily retain contamination. I wire brushed them with my Dremil and power drill. It was a lot of work. Wish this thread was up three weeks ago!
Another option is in the back of this months Hotrod Magazine. The section where they test stuff. They tried cleaning a aluminum manifold with some new goop. It worked great they said. I might buy some just to have around. Can't be any worse than that ineffective air conditioning coil cleaner I tried!

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
if it was my motor, everything but the accessory brackets would be chevy orange..
OK Grumpy:D
That was a trick Bill Jenkins used back in 69 with his race car. He had one of the first ZL1's. Nobody guessed he had a new aluminum block. A pocket magnet would have blown his cover.:yes:

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Fred I talked it over with my buddy that owns a machine shop and he sees no issue with manifolds as the runners have no real place for residue to cling to or get trapped in. As for heads I can't see it being much more problem than bowl blending or other machine work. I know folks on both sides of this argument but don't know anyone that lost an engine do to bead blasting. I also have read here recently of using scotch brite pads to hand hone cyl bores and have heard others really speak out about it. I bet your dremmel work came out great too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used some POR 15 cast gray high temp paint on my last engine, it made the intake look good and did not burn off like other paints. I will be doing it again on my new engine... A

1 - 7 of 7 Posts