Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone heard of ATD paint guns? I just bought them off of e-bay I read in super chevy you could get some good off brands on e-bay. The kit came with 3 guns, cleaning kit, regulator and stand. Tip sizes 1.8,1.4,1.0. If anyone has heard of these or used them please give me your 911 thanks...J

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I never heard of them. I am a hard-core SATA fan, so my opinion is skewed, but honestly there are in-fact some good 'cheapie' guns.

Use your 1.8 for primer, 1.4 for base & clear, and the 1.0 for touch-up/blending.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yes, i have heard of them, they are a great gun for the money. Use them for primer, finish paint on frames,etc. Usually use a DeVilblisnPlus gun for the finish paint and clear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BILL. I was told that I could sand the car down to original primer since it has only been painted one time over original paint. Do you know if this is true? This would save me alot of money and elbow grease if I could. There is no rust on the car, atleast I haven't found any yet!! Thanks...J

·
Registered
320 Posts
$100.00 for a 3 pack, 1 primer, 1 finish, and 1 small touch up gun, got them at NAPA, but have seen them a Lowes and other places. They are a knockoff gun, sometimes they are packaged with a different name-same gun. Almost doesn"t pay to clean them- use and toss- just kidding.C

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
BILL. I was told that I could sand the car down to original primer since it has only been painted one time over original paint. Do you know if this is true? This would save me alot of money and elbow grease if I could. There is no rust on the car, atleast I haven't found any yet!! Thanks...J
The answer is YES and NO. Original paints were lacquer based. Lacquer dries and shrinks and then 'crazes' (little lines and cracks all over). If you do sand the car down to the factory primer, then you need to spray a few coats of sealer over the surface before using the high-build primer. Then, you have a better chance of the paint NOT failing.

However, I personally would take it down to bare metal. Why not have the car SODA BLASTED? Soda blasting only removes paint, and it doesn't even hurt chrome or glass!

So YES you can do it with some additional steps, but NO ... I wouldn't.

Should be about $600 to blast the car, and it will save you TONS of time and aggrivation.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with 69-Z11. Even if you have compressed air and DA sanders, it will take you a lot of hours to get all the paint off...unless you have nothing but time on your hands. My son-in-law owns a local blasting shop and get $400 to $500 to blast a car. A lot easier than sanding.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Chemically stripped mine. A little messy and smelly, but in the end there are no surprises. I knew exactly what was bondo, what needed to be fixed and what needed to be replaced. Both the original lacquer/primer and the cheap paint job on top of that came off relatively easy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, the reason I am not sure about blasting off the paint is, because I have the whole frame and under carriage done already, I didn't want to hurt them with a blast!!J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts