Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Paint Job Cost Expectations
From others experience what can i expect as far as cost in the NY area? I know there are a lot of other post regarding this and I have a pretty good idea but just listing more specifics about my 69 Camaro. I have the entire interior out, everything besides the exterior body is done on the car - powder coated engine compartment, can eat off underneath, drive train in. Have exterior stripped of trim, no rust on panels, will need a little body work for a fender patch, some alignment of the hood, a ding in quarter and door but over the car is in good shape as far as the body, I would not say basket case but also wouldn't say just prime and spray. So just trying to see what to expect and what others have paid and if anything would have been done differently.

Paint Shop - Long Island
I am looking to see if anyone know of or have had any experiences with a good paint shop on Long Island , NY ? Or any to stay clear of. I am looking a mid range nice job, thinking not macco $2k and not a $20k job.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Base Coat, Clear Coat, and Sealer with Activators/reducers etc plus tack cloths disposible respirators, wax remover, mixing cups and misc. was $450

Cost of application?
I buying Coffee, sodas and pizza.

We quit drinking beer a long time ago...

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Base Coat, Clear Coat, and Sealer with Activators/reducers etc plus tack cloths disposible respirators, wax remover, mixing cups and misc. was $450

Cost of application?

Wow,,450.00 is a deal. The material must have been given to you.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts

Cost of application?

It is not stated what line was used. This price does not apply to all paints.

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Sorry for the long winded reply

I can tell you one thing that I have learned in the last 4 months, is that, what ever the estimate is, expect it to go up. I am sure that some shops can bring a job in on budget if they are good at quotes and have lots' of experience. I thought I was going to get away with a 5K paint job with lot's of favors and doing a lot of the work myself, but shop time is expensive as are materials. I probably burned through $100.00 worth of sandpaper alone. Factor in the etch primer, then high build primer, then epoxy primer. Also there is body filler, and yes it goes on every car. That is how you get a really straight car. Now we get into the base coat, clear coat. Now factor in the cost of the staff who do the repairs, and all the time to apply the various coats of primer and paint, as well as the body prep and block sanding and on and on.

Until this point I had no idea what was really involved in a decent paint job, but I have learned a great deal. My advice is to do it right the first time. Once you have the oportunity to paint the car, you might as well make it as nice as possible. I know that where I live everything is really expensive so I can't speak for your area, but I do know that once you open the can of worms, it takes on a life of it's own. I guess the question is what kind of a paint job do you want. It sounds to me like you have already spent time and money to make your car so clean you can eat off it, so from what I can see you should put the cherry on top, concidering the exterior is what most people will see, yourself included. I say don't skimp now that the car is stripped and ready for paint. Find a shop that you trust and does good work. Doing it right does cost money, and it sounds to me like you want it done right.

Until I got deep into my paint job, I figured 5K no problem. I know better now and will have a way better car as a result. Whatever you willing to spend right now, double it and do it right! You'll be glad you did.

As far as what I would do differently. If you are putting stripes on the car pay carefull attention as it can add more to the job than you think as I have learned. There are several extra steps and prep that take time, so factor that into the equation. Also stay in the loop and keep tabs on the job. Also I would make sure that you see a test spray of all paint and sign off on it once you have exactly what you want. I would also ask for a best case scenario quote and a worst case scenario quote and be prepared for it to come in somewhere in between. These cars are old and have seen a lot of duty and most need more work than we think or plan on. What looks like a small amount of rust usually has spread deeper and further than we thought. Also I would strip the car to bare metal and give the shop the car i that condition and ask for the quote that way. That way they see what they are dealing with and the quoting will be much more accurate. It will cost a more if it is stripped to bare metal, but the potential for the cost to go way up is more likely otherwise. You will also end up with a better product.

Also expect it to take longer than quoted. Waiting for parts and materials will delay the job and as the shop juggles jobs around and runs into delays with other jobs, you may get back logged.

And the most imporatnt thing that I would do differently is try to find a shop that really knows Camaros and has done a lot of them and done them well. It will save you so much time, as it will be second nature to them when selecting paint and finishes and final assembly, as you will most likely paint the car with the front end off the car if you want a proper job.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
For starters, it sounds like it still has some sort of paint on it? If it does, a individual that will stand by his work will want to strip it off. A re-paint is only as good as its foundation. Quality materials, an easy $1000.00. In a nut shell, I personally wouldnt look at it for less than $5000.00 and I think you will find that is more than fair for what has to be done to make the customer happy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts

Cost of application?

I just asked our local paint supplier how much for a gallon of PPG base in Hugger Orange for my 69 Camaro. He looked in the computer and said $600. and that is just the base, no clear coat, activators , etc. $400. for everything ? What A Deal !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the info... Unfortunately the $400 paint job doesn't look to be in my future (nor did i expect it to be) but the other posts and info confirm my thoughts and I appreciate the input... The 5-10k range looks like it's going to be me...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the long winded reply

I can tell you one thing that I have learned in the last 4 months, is that, what ever the estimate is, expect it to go up. I am sure that some shops can bring a job in on budget if they are good at quotes and have lots' of experience. I thought I was going to get away with a 5K paint job with lot's of favors and doing a lot of the work myself, but shop time is expensive as are materials. I probably burned through $100.00 worth of sandpaper alone. Factor in the etch primer, then high build primer, then epoxy primer. Also there is body filler, and yes it goes on every car. That is how you get a really straight car. Now we get into the base coat, clear coat. Now factor in the cost of the staff who do the repairs, and all the time to apply the various coats of primer and paint, as well as the body prep and block sanding and on and on.

Until this point I had no idea what was really involved in a decent paint job, but I have learned a great deal. My advice is to do it right the first time. Once you have the oportunity to paint the car, you might as well make it as nice as possible. I know that where I live everything is really expensive so I can't speak for your area, but I do know that once you open the can of worms, it takes on a life of it's own. I guess the question is what kind of a paint job do you want. It sounds to me like you have already spent time and money to make your car so clean you can eat off it, so from what I can see you should put the cherry on top, concidering the exterior is what most people will see, yourself included. I say don't skimp now that the car is stripped and ready for paint. Find a shop that you trust and does good work. Doing it right does cost money, and it sounds to me like you want it done right.

Until I got deep into my paint job, I figured 5K no problem. I know better now and will have a way better car as a result. Whatever you willing to spend right now, double it and do it right! You'll be glad you did.

As far as what I would do differently. If you are putting stripes on the car pay carefull attention as it can add more to the job than you think as I have learned. There are several extra steps and prep that take time, so factor that into the equation. Also stay in the loop and keep tabs on the job. Also I would make sure that you see a test spray of all paint and sign off on it once you have exactly what you want. I would also ask for a best case scenario quote and a worst case scenario quote and be prepared for it to come in somewhere in between. These cars are old and have seen a lot of duty and most need more work than we think or plan on. What looks like a small amount of rust usually has spread deeper and further than we thought. Also I would strip the car to bare metal and give the shop the car i that condition and ask for the quote that way. That way they see what they are dealing with and the quoting will be much more accurate. It will cost a more if it is stripped to bare metal, but the potential for the cost to go way up is more likely otherwise. You will also end up with a better product.

Also expect it to take longer than quoted. Waiting for parts and materials will delay the job and as the shop juggles jobs around and runs into delays with other jobs, you may get back logged.

And the most imporatnt thing that I would do differently is try to find a shop that really knows Camaros and has done a lot of them and done them well. It will save you so much time, as it will be second nature to them when selecting paint and finishes and final assembly, as you will most likely paint the car with the front end off the car if you want a proper job.
Thanks, not long winded informative... I kinda was thinking what your saying but helps to hear it from others and confirm it... Thanks so much

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I stripped, preped, painted, striped, wet sanded and buffed my black with white stripe 69Camaro. All the supplies to do each step above with PPG products and 2 gallons of Concept 2001 clear and the 4 3M finishing componds, cost $1800. That was spraying etching primer, epoxy primer, wet sand with 600 (Twice) 4 coats of black, white, and 5 coats of clear with my old gravity Devilbiss gun that I have used for 15 years. Let is sit for 4 days and wet sand to 2000 and buff with the various stages down to 3M swirl remover and then assembled the car. That included the engine compartment and inner fenders, undercarriage, trunk with the front cap off. The result is I have a show winning paint job due to the labor, mostly in the final stages of wet sanding and buffing. The labor is where most of the cost is, I would guess I have 50 or 60 so hours in. This is my serious hobby and have painted 40 or so cars over 45 years in my home paint booth. I think if it becomes your hobby, the fun is doing everything yourself. The pride you will have is fantastic and you can get your children involved in the hobby as well! My son does it for a living now and we worked side by side for 10 years. . . .you all know him as RamairDave the owner and operator of The Musclecarguys! Oh and don't forget the Bud!

·
Registered
3 Posts
69z28freak nailed it. As a body shop owner, I know what it takes to make a car nice. We are in the middle of a string of 1st gens right now including my own '68. I have a rather expensive color picked out and plan to spend about $3000 on paint and supplies. That's three thousand dollars it will cost a body shop owner. We use BASF's Diamont paint and Glasurit primers which are pretty spendy but worth every cent. Every dollar you don't spend on something that needs it will show up on the completed project. Depending on the condition of the project car you can have 200 - 300 hours in paint and body. Multiply that by the $/hr labor rate and you'll get an idea of what it costs to be happy with your shiny new car. Don't forget to add in parts like floors, fenders, firewall, etc. My rule for those estimating the cost of their projects is add up everything you can possibly think of, multiply it by 2 and add 30%. It sounds ridiculous but it comes very close all the time. It's easy to overlook the "little things" like the chrome that was fine on a driver but seriously detracts from your beautiful new paint or the sound deadening material that you might as well spray on while the car's apart and the brakes that are just puny as you're looking through those new polished 18s. Projects are evolving entities. That's part of the reason the guess in the beginning will seem so crazy at the end. Don't be discouraged, just be prepared. And don't let the wife read this!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
To make one shiny to get out the door and look good for a few years is one thing, however a show quality finish which will look as good in 20 years as now takes an entirely different mindset.

Do you want it to look good from 10 ft? 5 ft? 5 inches?
PRICE WILL EXPONENTIALLY INCREASE AS THE DISTANCE NARROWS!!!

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
I stripped, preped, painted, striped, wet sanded and buffed my black with white stripe 69Camaro. All the supplies to do each step above with PPG products and 2 gallons of Concept 2001 clear and the 4 3M finishing componds, cost $1800. That was spraying etching primer, epoxy primer, wet sand with 600 (Twice) 4 coats of black, white, and 5 coats of clear with my old gravity Devilbiss gun that I have used for 15 years. Let is sit for 4 days and wet sand to 2000 and buff with the various stages down to 3M swirl remover and then assembled the car. That included the engine compartment and inner fenders, undercarriage, trunk with the front cap off. The result is I have a show winning paint job due to the labor, mostly in the final stages of wet sanding and buffing. The labor is where most of the cost is, I would guess I have 50 or 60 so hours in. This is my serious hobby and have painted 40 or so cars over 45 years in my home paint booth. I think if it becomes your hobby, the fun is doing everything yourself. The pride you will have is fantastic and you can get your children involved in the hobby as well! My son does it for a living now and we worked side by side for 10 years. . . .you all know him as RamairDave the owner and operator of The Musclecarguys! Oh and don't forget the Bud!
So how much would that job cost to have a shop do it?

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
69z28freak nailed it. As a body shop owner, I know what it takes to make a car nice. We are in the middle of a string of 1st gens right now including my own '68. I have a rather expensive color picked out and plan to spend about $3000 on paint and supplies. That's three thousand dollars it will cost a body shop owner. We use BASF's Diamont paint and Glasurit primers which are pretty spendy but worth every cent. Every dollar you don't spend on something that needs it will show up on the completed project. Depending on the condition of the project car you can have 200 - 300 hours in paint and body. Multiply that by the $/hr labor rate and you'll get an idea of what it costs to be happy with your shiny new car. Don't forget to add in parts like floors, fenders, firewall, etc. My rule for those estimating the cost of their projects is add up everything you can possibly think of, multiply it by 2 and add 30%. It sounds ridiculous but it comes very close all the time. It's easy to overlook the "little things" like the chrome that was fine on a driver but seriously detracts from your beautiful new paint or the sound deadening material that you might as well spray on while the car's apart and the brakes that are just puny as you're looking through those new polished 18s. Projects are evolving entities. That's part of the reason the guess in the beginning will seem so crazy at the end. Don't be discouraged, just be prepared. And don't let the wife read this!
You are absolutely right. I will let you know when I get the bill how much over budget I am, but I bet you are close to right on. I forgot about a lot of the trim items, and I was also not planning on painting my subframe and detailing the engine compartment either, during this phase. However, once I changed direction with the paint color change, it quickly lead to stripping the entire body to bare metal, fixing every rust pinhole, removing all the glass, doors, front end etc. Then I had to replace all of the rubber seals, some trim, emblems, window felts etc. None of those parts were in my original budget. Funny how a part can look fine on the car until you remove it from the car only to discover it is brusted, worn out or just plain ugly in comparison, to that nice new paint. Yup I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Sure the car will be much nicer, look better and increase in value, but there is a serious cost involved. I sure wish I could have done more of the work myself as I would have saved a fortune, (well a fortune to me that is).

One thing is that if I ever do this again, I will make sure to do the drive train first. Now that I have the car painted, the next phase will be the drive train. It just means that I need to be very careful to not mess up the new paint job. It sure would have been nice to install a new motor while the car was apart.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I will let the experts determine the total cost. I would guess 8 to 10 grand. I probably spent more than 50 hours too. 729 hit it on the head. The before parts look good for example until you put them on the new paint. I think I did pretty well with this car, I budgeted $15 and came in at $8K over. I started with a pristine body but paid $16K for it from California and was a 1 owner still driving plain jane. Now it is a BB, RS, 4 spd with too many options. I have $39K out the door in the car. I have one for sale at $22 just to make room, frame up resto, for the Vett.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts