Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just piled everything except my new springs in front of my Newly Powder coated Subframe. What I want to know is when my Drag link comes back from the Media Blaster, Should I paint it, or leave it natural. Would it look tacky to paint it and the tie rod ends black to protect them from the weather? The Calipers are back from being sleeved and rebuilt, and I was thinking about using the VHT Caliper paint on them also. They are Factory four piston calipers. I intend to drive my car on the road. Not use it as a trailer queen. It won’t see the snow, but it may see the rain. I am not really worried about keeping everything factory, I really want it to last better than factory. By the time it is done, I will have more in it by many times what it cost new. I am looking for opinions, and for the devils advocate. I welcome all and any opinions.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've rattle can spray painted mine with Cast Blast to give a natural look, but to offer some protection from surface rust. I'm after a stock look and using stock parts though.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've rattle can spray painted mine with Cast Blast to give a natural look, but to offer some protection from surface rust. I'm after a stock look and using stock parts though.
Yes, I really want to finish this in a way that I will be able to take it across country to see my friends from the service. Drivability is a primary objective, with longevity being the secondary. A real close secondary.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I had mine powdercoated and the center link too. Lots of people use the black as on the subframes. I decided to do mine a dark gray with a black speckle to make it look sort of like unfinished steel but won't rust. Pic not the greatest but you get the idea

Attachments

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I powder coated all my steering linkage with Cast Blast powder from Eastwoods. From the factory they were bare cast iron, so I wanted it to look "original" without rusting. It has a little sheen to it, but under the car and out of direct light I don't think you'll notice it. I've still got my subframe sitting on jack stands if you want to take a little drive and check it out. I may even have some of the powder left over that you can have..

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I powder coated all my steering linkage with Cast Blast powder from Eastwoods. From the factory they were bare cast iron, so I wanted it to look "original" without rusting. It has a little sheen to it, but under the car and out of direct light I don't think you'll notice it. I've still got my subframe sitting on jack stands if you want to take a little drive and check it out. I may even have some of the powder left over that you can have..
Hey I worked on a bridge in Laurel a few years ago. There was a good chicken place there near the river. I would like to see your car sometime.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
There was a good chicken place there near the river.
The Long Branch? There are lots of good chicken places in this area. Chicken and :beers: is the local staple.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have just piled everything except my new springs in front of my Newly Powder coated Subframe.
Where did you get your control arm bumpers? (The ones that bolt on the subframe)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just painted my ty-rods, center link, end link, and sway bar with Eastwoods Zinc Phosphate paint, it's a little darker than Cast Blast but it looks good. I did scuff and prime the surface for better adhesion. I'll try to post a pic when I get home.

Just remember that once the engine is in, most of the components will only be partially seen, if at all. Clear coat over the components you have would probably be the quickest way out giving you rust protection.

For most of us, the cars will never see rain so rust ends up being just a minor concern, but if you plan on driving across country something should be done.

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts