Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reproduction standard steering wheels are available only in black; the originals, of course, were color molded all the way through.

If I paint one with Year One interior lacquer or the equivalent, will it actually last? Or is there a better way to color match these black wheels to the interior?

Thanks!
- Dave

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When I re-did mine, I flattened some clear and did it that way. By the time your hand rubs across it several times, it will take care of any excess gloss. If you use just straight color, your hands will rub thru it over time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm no pro on this but I would think you would have to use a catalized paint or a BC/ Clear coat to get it to last and prevent rubbing through.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I painted mine some years ago after repairing the cracks with polyester filler. I cleaned it thoughly and sanded it with something like 280 or 320 wet and dry. then I primed it with epoxy primer DP40 and topped with Deltron urethane paint. I painted the steering wheel with the finger grips down. this allowed for a heavy coating on the wear area and any paint runs to accumulate on the finger grips.
Once this type of catalyzed paint hardens, it's just like the original plastic. (maybe tougher) If you want to get picky on the gloss, you can add a little flattening agent to the paint and kill some of the gloss. Otherwise the high gloss tends to die back and usual wear will also dull some of the gloss.
I am probably out of date with these paint numbers, but DP40 was a gray/green tint primer and Deltron was a PPG urethane paint. A few years after I did this, PPG came out with a equivalent primer that was satin black (DP85?) that may be a better color choice than the green tint primer. Never know when you might scratch the top coat with a ring or belt buckle. The black primer would not show as badly on a black steering wheel. Also, this primer is great for frames and under hood stuff. It really doesn't require a top coat on typical under hood parts or frames. So you can use it elsewhere. Stuffs not cheap.

My wheel is still perfect after 15 years, although I don't drive the car much. If you want a color other than black, you can get urethane paints in any color from automotive paint store. I think I'd stay away for spray bomb laquer. It can't be very durable or hard.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Is there any way to paint the steering wheel at home without having to pay someone to professionally paint it?

I do not have a compressor or paint gun...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Brent, I repaired the cracks in mine with the por putty, then rough sanded the entire wheel, sprayed an adhesion promoter (bull dog brand) then used the interior plastic dye rattle can in black. It lasted a while, but in the summer, it wanted to rub off a little, so I re-sprayed, then used a urethane clear with hardener and a "flex additive". It has lasted good since the clear topcoat. If you can't spray with an hvlp at home...I would suggest looking into the S.E.M line of rattle cans and ask questions. The steering wheel see's alot of physical contact with your hands. I'm not sure that a rattle can of anything will hold up, but for 6 bucks it's worth a shot ;) Good luck!

Dano

·
Registered
13 Posts
i painted the steering wheel on a '64 impala i use to have.. i used krylon in a rattle can.. if you have to use rattle cans, use a paint that gives a hard finish not enamels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts