Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm about to start painting my axles. I have brake cleaned, purple powered, and TSP cleaned the axle housing. I have a good coat of bonding primer on it now. What kind of relatively inexpensive paint, preferably OTC, should I use? I have been recommended appliance paint and rusto' enamel out of the can and spray. I really don't want to pay big $$ money and/or wait for Eastwood to send me something, but I do want it to last.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is bonding primer?

Don

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of like a high-test primer that bonds to multiple substrates (e.g. metal, plastic, wood, masonry etc) including smooth and hard to bond to surfaces.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can spray a high build primer next to get rid of the scratches and imperfections on the axle. It is very thick and you sand it smooth after it dries.

The black color on the axle is Eastwood Chassi Black with ceramic. It is the high gloss version.
The center section is Dupli-Color DE1612 Engine gray primer and then DE1650 Cast Coat Aluminum Engine Spray paint.

Dupli-Color comes in a many different colors and in a spray can. The paint is oil and gas resistant.

·
Registered
517 Posts
According to a restoration spreadsheet I have, the rear axle is 40-60% gloss black. I used #7777 Rustoleum, thinned according to the instructions on the can. Seems to be about right. I used a trim gun and it came out just fine, and is holding up after 15 years. As an option on some cars, it was OK to leave it bare metal. Not sure why you would...

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,611 Posts
I used Valspar tractor enamel. Available from local Farm Fleet or similar stores. I've had no problem what so ever with it and I don't baby the underside of my car. It's available in aerosol, quart and gallon. If you gun spray it there is a hardener available also. Sounds like your primer is an etch type. Check it for respray window time frame. You may have to scuff it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts