Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Did a search in the old threads and have a few questions.

I stripped the block and heads using paint stripper, so now how, or what do I use to clean the block to ensure the paint will stick?

I also saw a lot of threads about using primer before doing the actual topcoat. What kind of primer....I have never seen high temp primer before?

I will be spraying Chevy Orange using Duplicoat spray.

Thanks for any suggestions! :beers:

·
Registered
189 Posts
after picking up my block from the shop i used hot soapy water to clean it, i then used "self-etching" primer, then i applied the color coat.

seems to have worked fine, paint is a couple years old and still looks great ;)

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i've never used a primer on an engine. just get it clean and spray it with a couple of coats of either VHT or Duplicolor Chevy orange.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I always use alot of elbow grease and a wire brush too, after scraping and wiping it down with thinner but I have gotten lazier in the past few years and have a wire brush attachment for my drill.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like doing the final clean with brake cleaner or thinner is the answer......I will go that route. :thumbsup:

I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Thanks everyone. :beers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I steam cleaned my motor,de-greaser etc......i didn't prime the block/heads just
sprayed 3 coats of an undustrial 2k paint (chev orange of course)
it looks real clean and shiny,over here the V.H.T cans are like $22 (N.Z.)
and i get trade prices on paints through my business
Just a thought
Gav

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
On my cast iron intake and water pump, I used that environmentally friendly orange spray degreaser, then soap and water, then POR marine clean, then POR etching, then POR chevy orange with foam brushes. Its held up very well.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,
I agree about the soap and water part......but the fresh rotating assembly is already together in the block.....so I'm not about to take water to it now. :D

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Duplicolor makes a grease and wax remover sold at most stores specifically for pre-paint cleaning. As far as primer, paint usually sticks pretty well to iron without it as long as all the grease is gone. If it ain't clean, primer doesn't stand much of a chance either. My heads were done without primer over a dozen years ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just used the High Temp Chevy Orange from Duplicolor. Without primer it looked pretty bad especially the brand new heads I put on. I went back to Auto Value and bought the High Temp Primer that Duplicolor sells and resprayed it. Looks 100 times better. Do yourself a favor and just prime it. It's about $7 a can and only takes a few minutes. Just my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts