Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best way to do this. I have the engine and everything out of the car. what is the best paint?? best way to clean it? just need any advice I can get on this

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
If you mean the subframe there are multiple ways to go about it. The cheap/easy maintenance way would probably be to use POR-15. Or you could get it sandblasted and powder coated. I've also seen folks spray it with epoxy primer then top coat with black. Those are the basic choices. Your decision should be based on budget, time available, and of course preference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I am talking about the subframe, sorry about that. Is the por-15 the stuff that you put on the metal and it takes care of the rust and painting all at once?? where do you get it? Time is probably my major problem right now. I need to get it done fairly soon.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I sandblasted mine and had it powdercoated. Turned out very nice. Most powdercoaters have OEM colors if you want the correct colors. Powdercoating cost me 100 dollars......cheap and easy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Guys, use the search function (subframe painting) you will get lots of good ideas.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Camarossrulz, I used the por 15, it goes on nice but it is expensive. A qt. will take care of the whole front sub frame and firewall easily. Here's a pic of what it looked like after it was done. It was way to shiney for my taste, so while it was still tacky i sprayed it with a rustoleum spray bomb...cant remember the color code but it turned out good. If you do use this stuff dont get it on you! NOTHING BUT TIME WILL TAKE IT OFF YOUR SKIN,believe me I wore it for a couple of weeks.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I had mine sandblasted and powder coated. looks good! :yes: :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
im doing mine by using a wire wheel on my grinder. its coming out awesome and i am going to coat it with rust converter/encapsulator and then chassis black satin from eastwood

·
Registered
42 Posts
i was thinking about the powdercoat. but the estimate i got was way more then 100 bucks. i think it was closer to 1000bucks. im going to just sandblast mine then paint it.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I got my subframe, inner fenders, radiator support, pulleys, trans cross member and a bunch of misc parts sandblasted and powdercoated for $400.

They came out awesome and all I had to do was drop them off and pick them up a couple of weeks later.

Post your location and someone may be able to give you a shop's name near you if you want a second quote.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
im doing mine by using a wire wheel on my grinder. its coming out awesome and i am going to coat it with rust converter/encapsulator and then chassis black satin from eastwood
Steven - This is how I plan to do mine once the weather warms up. Let me know how yours comes out. I used the encapsulator and extreme chassis black satin under my floors, trunk and rear frame. They came out great. Are you brushing or spraying?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did mine last year also with using a wire wheel then eastwoods chassis black, turned out awesome. I've spilled brake fluid, anitfreeze, gas, you name it and it holds up great. If you're on a budget, like me, I highly recommend this route. For all other under hood brackets, wheel houses etc, I used Eastwood underhood black, that too holds up great, seems almost as durable as powdercoat. I'm still working on the engine compartment, but when all done I'll post pictures. (there is a partial I posted in the fuel line question I posted a few days ago.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Camjoe 63....there's 2 places near you. 1 is Blaze-Tek in Pelham, NH and the other is Central Mass Powder Coating in Clinton, Mass, Let me know if you need the #'s. Pete

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sent you a PM
I got it thank you I found a place www.musclecarmetal.com he is in Seabrook N.H. only a few miles away from me ad I talked to him about this and he talked me out of Powdercoat. I plan on seeing his work this Saturday. He also sells a complete bottom end Sheetmetal package,,floor,inner and outer rockers,trunk pan,frame rails,inner and outer wheelwells and a firewall for 3,400 I am going that root cause his whole package is built right off of a frame jig and for 50 per hour he will mate the body to the floor pan assy. He said it would take one day to do it. I will post more info on this after I see his shop this weekend.

Thanks again

·
Registered
873 Posts
There are a lot of ways to do a frame, and you guys came out with some good ideas, but I would like to add a couple things here.

Where ever you have rough looking areas like pock marks and pits where it had rusted, unless you put some filler in them, you will still see them after you paint or powdercoat.

A really nice frame doesn't mean that much to most people, but I have read that some of them wished they would have did something about it after they got done.

As just a suggestion, if you did some of the areas on it that are easily accessible, or when you open the hood, the little bit that the motor and inner fenders don't cover, and a few other places that can be seen easily.

On my web site I describe how I painted mine, but don'y take this as I did this and I did that, just trying to give you a couple of options to keep in mind.

More in likely a lot of you will make your engine compartments look really good and professional looking, well, take care of that little bit of frame that they will also see, then when you open that hood to show that hard work off, you have it covered.:thumbsup:

Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
i thought the price(1000bucks) was way out of wack. im in the sacramento area. there are alot of powdercoating places around here. i just thought they alll were rip offs. i have dealt with two of them i had a bad time with each.

i was charged 300 just to get a few brackets for my motor powdercoated. now im pissed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts