Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've had my 67' for a few years now and am finally starting to put some time/money into it. I've started by gutting the interior and have decided to change the existing blue metal interior to black. Specifically the metal above the rear door panels and package tray.

I first gave it a good sanding and attempted to apply a coat of black Plasti-Kote "Super Lacquer" but discovered very quickly that it adhered great in some spots but terrible in others. Some of it looked smeared and other parts looked pitted. I let it dry and re-sanded it down to the blue. I then tried what the auto-parts store recommended which was Rustoleum "Universal" which worked better but still looked very pitted in some spots. I then tried Rustoleum Grey primer spray which stuck BUT within hours it shrank to look embossed. It had tons of cracks in it that gave it a "stone walkway" look. Note that I have been cleaning and de-greasing and rinsing post-sanding with every paint attempt.

I have since sanded it down to bare metal. I would simply like to paint or prime/paint the metal to black without having to sand any more. I'm very novice with painting (obviously) and seem to have been misguided on the types of paints/primers needed for this job. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm not sure you were misguided by these people. It sounds like you were having an adhesion problem. After sanding, did you prep and clean the surface well? It might be you had contamination. Any of those paints should have stuck well. Especially the primer. Unless the problem was the two types of paint reacted badly with eachother. But since you're down to bare metal, it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Never spray or get anywhere a pre paint surface with any type of oil, silicone, or tire black like son of gun or Armorall. Sounds like it is fish eyeing. Get some wax and grease remover form your paint store. Wipe it a few times... Use a lint free cloth, or you will have lint in the paint... Blue shop towels work great... Got it down to bare metal, get a spray can of metal etch, will help with the paint adhesion...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So should I get a grease/wax remover... and then use a metal etch paint, primer or both? Will none of the products I mentioned earlier get the job done or do I specifically want this metal etch stuff?

Thank you for your help, this has become a much larger job than it should have been. Sanding that rear package tray trim was brutal.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Try wiping the bare metal down with a clean rag and clean laquer thinner .then put a light coat of etch primer like SEM trim prime or sxa1031. then light coats of SEM trim black or SEM gloss trim black .Dont use enamel products from a spray can for this theyre too temperamental take too long to dry and dont take recoating very well.This works for me.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Try wiping the bare metal down with a clean rag and clean laquer thinner .then put a light coat of etch primer like SEM trim prime or sxa1031. then light coats of SEM trim black or SEM gloss trim black .Dont use enamel products from a spray can for this theyre too temperamental take too long to dry and dont take recoating very well.This works for me.
X2:yes:......The clean rag with thinner and SEM satin black rust shield is what I have been using with excellent results. I recommend you go to your local autobody paint store and seek their advice as well. I been very fortunate to have a very patient guy at the counter at my local paint store and he took the time to explain every step of the way so far. If you keep having trouble try posting a pic of what you have going. Also put up a pic of your car my man, we want to see them all.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help so far, I just have one other quick question. I want to paint the dash as well but am wondering if I need to sand to bare metal? Can I get away with a clean, light sand/scuff, clean, etch primer, paint or do I have to sand it all the way down. I'm finding the original blue paint to be very resistant to my sanding and I'm hopeing for an easier way that won't look like hell.

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I would throw a quick update on before I let the thread die. I was finally successful this afternoon. I purchased a new metal cleaning solvent to prep the bare/sanded metal as well as trim black etch primer/paint. The trim black I got says it can be used as a primer or as a final coat for trim as it does have a light gloss to it. So I cleaned all the pieces with water/soap and then used the solvent multiple times. Then used the trim black primer (3 coats) and then I used the original stuff, Rustoleum Universal Gloss black (2 coats). It looks pretty good and I'm excited to install the new package tray. I just cant decide if I want to spray the seats black (heard mixed reviews) before I reinstall them.

Thanks for your help everyone, definitely got me in the right direction!

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts