Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some plastic kick panels for my '67 from Classic Industries. They are black, and I need them to be bright blue. I cleaned them with a special low voc cleaner from PPG, then applied OER flexible urethane primer (pn 80525). I then sprayed them with OER Acrylic Laquer.(pn al804). The kick panels were stored for a full week before installation.

After installing them, (caulk and all) I noticed that some of the paint had scraped off. I used some masking tape over the grille and screws so that I could touch them up. The tape was very lightly applied, but when pulled off, the paint comes right off. In fact any light scraping contact with a finger nail pulls the paint right off. Clearly, I am not getting anywhere near the paint adhesion I need.

So, where did I go wrong? Should I have used a different primer, or none at all? Or paint adhesion promoter (72060) Or a different cleaner. I am now in the process of removing the paint with duct tape! I really don't want to have to do this 3x. Help!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bill, When I did mine I used polyprolene primer from PPG, then sprayed with NAPA vinyl paint, have not had a problem yet. The primer from PPG is clear and comes in a pint can with a screw on lid. Its actually a adhesion promoter but they call it primer. Also use this on arm rest base, seat backs. You should strip the bad paint off with tape, or laquer thinner, re-clean with wax and grease remover, then laquer thinner, prime then re-paint. Good luck!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you have a Shermin Williams store near you.They sell the new plastic paint all you do is clean the piece with paint thinner and spray. Its great used it on my new dash I brought that came in flat black and I needed it shinny black to match my fleshly painted dash.Bonds great no prime needed, spray can comes in certain colors but they are making more.Its Krylon Plastic paint.Unbielevable great product!

·
Registered
189 Posts
The Krylon Fusion only comes in 9 colors so far. I have not heard they are making more. But if you need a very nice Gloss white or Black it has great bonding to plastic. Also comes in a Hunter Green, Burgandy, Yellow, and Blue, but probably not the exact color you want. Also great for painting plastic lawn furniture and shutters.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great infomation. After removing the kick panels and scraping off the caulk I got started pulling off the paint with duct tape. Most of it came off. I then finished the job by glass beading off the paint in the vent grid area.

My plan is to clean thoroughly with lacquer thinner and then prep
the panels with adhesion promoter. I'll follow that up with flexible primer and then the top color coat. All paints are by OEM.

Wish me luck and adhesion!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had a hard enough time doing the passenger side. Lots of bending and swearing and tugging and that is the easy side to do. I will take any tips as well on the driver side!!
Scott

·
Registered
320 Posts
CFunk, It's a bigger pain on the drivers side because you should take out the emergency brake pedal and mount, but it isn't that hard to do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I found the tops have to 'tip into' the vent area first. Then the rest goes in pretty easy after that. Just did mine ;)
Hope this helps!
PS I wiped them down with RM 'Pre-Kleeno' first then sprayed them with SEM Vinyl color (Landau Black - its a semi-gloss). They turned out PERFECT and adhesion is unbelievably great. I thought for sure I'd scratched them a couple times wrestling them into place but nope! Awesome combo did the trick for me. But no color change, just factory black to black.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bill, When I did mine I used polyprolene primer from PPG, then sprayed with NAPA vinyl paint, have not had a problem yet. The primer from PPG is clear and comes in a pint can with a screw on lid. Its actually a adhesion promoter but they call it primer. Also use this on arm rest base, seat backs. You should strip the bad paint off with tape, or laquer thinner, re-clean with wax and grease remover, then laquer thinner, prime then re-paint. Good luck!
Does the thinner damage the panels grain at all?

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
I used the SEM paint. It worked perfect as far as I can tell. I used adhesion promoter after cleaning with a vinyl cleaner before the SEM paint. It is made for painting flexible parts. You can buy it at auto paint suppliers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts