Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i sent my dashpad down to Justdashes to be redone and as i look at my dash im thinking it could stand to be painted while everything is off. my question is how does one go about doing this; should i have a pro do it or is this something i could do with a spraycan??? thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What color is it? Can you paint? Do you have the equipment?

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I recently did the same thing on my 67. The first attempt was to rough-up the dash and paint over the existing paint. The problem I ran into was some chemical or residue from a cleaner someone in the past had used on it. Most of it came out ok, but in some spots, it seemed no matter if I sanded, primed and repainted, the final color ended up with fish-eyes in it. I couldn't get the final color to adhere to the dash. The primer looked ok, but not the color. I finally said the he## with it and blasted the entire dash down to metal, primed it and then shot the entire thing with acryllic enamel with a hardener in it. It looks very nice. I used a flat black for the top of the dash using a spray can and it looks good as well. I read somewhere that some of the stuff you can use to "clean" the dash can actually imbed residue into the paint and cause this type of problem when trying to paint over existing paint. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm not an expert but I think you can get away with spray cans provided there are not large expanses of flat surfaces. Only area of concern on a dash would be the right side with the glove box.

On my 67, I chose not to repain the dash, but I did repaint the glove box and the steering column. I sanded, cleaned with Eastwood Pre-Prep, primed and then spray painted with the OER interior paints from Classic or one of the other parts places.

In retrospect I probably should have painted the whole dash as thre is a minor color difference between the glove box and the dash but others don't seem to notice. The steering column looks great. I think if I would have done the whole thing it would have looked fine with the spray paints.

------------------
Mark M.
Red 67 Convertible
Red Deluxe Interior
383/Tremec 5 Speed
4 Wheel Disk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Austin, I couldn't agree with you more!!!!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Nobody laugh..., but I repainted the dash in my '69 with Krylon semi-gloss black in a can. I sanded between coats with a medium steel wool and the dash looks great. You would never know it was a Krylon resto.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 9/01/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
241 Posts
Gheatly, Glad yours went so well! You are lucky!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why is gheatly lucky? I did the top of the dash with the same Krylon semi and it came out ok. Is there something wrong with Krylon or just not good to use for that area?

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Silicon and paint = trouble. Almost all vinyl protectorants like armour-all and such have it. You have to use a product designed to remove wax and silicon first, probably a couple of times and even then it can still fisheye. Use plenty of clean rags. If you hit it with a sander first it will embed the stuff in the scratches and you will finally go nuts and remove all the paint to get rid of it.
If using a mixed paint, a touch of fisheye eliminator is a safe choice. Spray paint seems to be even more prone to silicone.

I've seen painters in body shops go nuts if any of the guys doing the final cleaning (before the customer gets the car) use a silicon based product. It seems to go everywhere.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I used Prep-Sol to clean it and Krylon gloss black spray paint- it actually looks pretty good. I was surprised! Pete

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It probably helped that I NEVER use anything to clean my interior except warm soapy water. I don't like Armor-All or similar products. Also, I did use a surface cleaner on the dash before I painted it.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 9/01/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just got through this hell of finding out about what armor all does to repainting. I sanded and worked out all the scratches on my dash. I went the cheap way and bought the Krylon. The first coat went good, the second coat got this wrinkled look in several areas. I cussed and stripped it all back down and sanded extra on the spots that had problems the first time. Second time I got to the final phase of putting on a clear top coat(I did it because it looks like after you armor all without the armor all grease touch). That clear coat was more aggressive and bam, all the paint wrinkled---I'm really pissed now. I go to Home Depot and buy a spray on stripper. It works great taking off all the old layers and most of the factory primer(wear gloves--that stuff burns on bare skin). Now I start from scratch and have a great looking dash. Live and Learn

LH

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, looks like im going to try to paint this dash and have everything removed. another question though, on the glove box door how do you get the camaro emblem removed??

·
Registered
156 Posts
sorry, didn't have emblem on mine--From looking at my glove box I'd be real careful about prying--put up another post on this specifically. I'm sure some one knows.

Lance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts