Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is what I’ve checked already:

1) The tan wire that plugs in just below the master cylinder is hot with the ignition key turned on.
2) The tan wire is hot on the interior side where it plugs into braking brake switch. It doesn’t matter whether the emergency brake is depressed or not.
3) I took the instrument panel out & tested the brake’s light bulb, it’s okay.

What ELSE should I check? This is frustrating.

Oh yea, its a totally original RS 67 Camaro convertible. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
The circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster. If it has any kinks in it or breaks being 40 + years old, you should replace it. Being the thin material that they are, fixing a break in the material is very hard.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
If you ground the tan wire to the parking brake 'what happens', it and the diff block,
they complete the circuit, To the ground, If the light comes on, grounding the wire to
the p-brake it's in the switch.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Further to Johns post above..
the current comes out of the battery, thru the fuse box, up to the light blulb then down to the switch....then as John says the switch competes the circuit to ground.

It doesn’t matter whether the emergency brake is depressed or not.
For it to get hot it needs current to go thru it....
does it get hot with the light off also?
Somewhere in the circuit you have a partial short or a connection that is bad and has a resistance across it in , increasing the current over and above what is being drawn by the bulb

If you inspect the bulb, very close, does it have any discoluring on the inside of the glass, a faint 'silvering'.
This is a classic sign of more current being forced thru the light bulb (due to a bad connection in the circuit) this current slowly vapourises the filiment desposting the super hot tungstein on the inner glass....
Brake and tail lights are more prone to this.

The bad connection is usually a bad ground or dirty connection inside the swtch in your case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts