Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was climbing around under my 68 yesterday and noticed a yellow sticker attached to my parking brake cable on the passenger side just in front of the right rear tire....just in front of the attachment bracket. The tag is about 2" long and about 3/4"wide and wraps around the cable and reattaches to itself (self adhesive). It has a code NP on it.

Any idea on what this tag is for, or what it is telling me ?

Thx

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
... The tag is about 2" long and about 3/4"wide and wraps around the cable and reattaches to itself (self adhesive). It has a code NP on it.

Any idea on what this tag is for, or what it is telling me ?

Thx
:eek: it can talk :eek:

It's the 'identifier' tag so the line worker can pick it out of a bin and install it ;)
His 'station task sheet' read - "install 1ea -NP, 2ea - SC, ..." so he knew what part(s) to put on a given vehicle as it came down the line to their station.
It takes to long to read a long part number so they used alpha-coded parts on the assembly lines.

Here's the one for a Disc Brake Plate
Camaro disc brake decal CS.jpg

Oh, I bet a lot of cars will now be sporting "NP" tags on the brake cables at shows :yes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John....what is that saying they have at Staples ?? Oh yea, I know....."That was easy !! "

Are all the cables marked the same, or are there different codes depending on model or options ?

Thanks again.....just thought it was a cool thing to find after 42 yrs and 71000 miles.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
While I can't remember the exact differences in all the brake cables, I would imagine if the part needed a designator code then there were a few available for the line workers to pick from for a given model application.
An example night be the different cables for the type of rear axle, 10-bolt or 12-bolt.
Another might be for different models being assembled on the same line. e.g: if your's is a Van Nuys car, then they were building Full Size and Camaros on the exact same line at the same time - and they obviously needed a different cable for a Impala Wagon than a Camaro ...
It could get interesting if the line guy needed to 'noodle-out' (think about :D ) each vehicles cable type at his station with two full-sizes and then one Camaro comming at him :eek:
They made things as "dumb-proof' in final assembly plants as they could in many cases and this application code was just one of those efforts.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
You're probably right :thumbsup:
For the two axle cables anyway, but I'm not sure if they were installed along with the brake piping and springs on hte axle or ???
Makes sense that the axle sub-assembly would be shipped with them installed, to prevent the line workers from having to remove the drums and a shoe from already assembled brake parts.
I would imagine the same rules apply though. The component sub-assembly workers need to know what unit gets what cable - and on which side - for a given sub-assembly also.

The main forward service brake cable would of course be specific to a given type and model of vehicle and probably also have a alpha-application code.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts