Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently installed the parking brake switch and was wondering what it's supposed to do.

I have a 68 Camaro SS. Is it supposed to light up one of the idiot lights if the emergency brake is pushed down and engadged?

I thought I had checked all my idiot light bulbs but the PARK light doesn't come on even when the key is in the ACC mode.

Any ideas on what the switch is supposed to do?

Thanks,
Jason

·
16,686 Posts
Brake indicator light should be on when the parking Brake is engaged and the key is turned on.

12v constant to the indicator light and the e-brake switch closes to provide ground when the e-brake pedal is pushed down.

I would 1st check to make sure the switch is closing and establishing the ground.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I'm not that great when it comes to electric stuff but I have all the tools lol.

Can you possibly tell me what I need to do to check if the switch is working correctly and establishing the ground?

·
Registered
251 Posts
First use a multimeter to see if you have 12V from disconnected wire to ground with key in run position. If good, check ohms from terminal of switch to ground. Should be 0 with brake set and OL with brake released.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The dash brake light comes on when the parking brake is engaged.....assuming the wiring to the brake light switch is correct and also "if" your master cylinder loses fluid due to a brake line, wheel cylinder, caliper leak

There is a sensor in the proportioning valve, center, connected to a brown wire

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Don't laugh, it works flawlessly :giggle:

IMG_1473 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Mine was not working ... so I fixed it. ;)

This is my 67.

When the park brake is engaged the pedal comes off the plunger (to the left) allowing the ground contact (that gob of wire on the right) to seat against the bracket which is bolted (grounded) to the dash. This completes the circuit turning on the light.

When the park brake is released and the pedal is "up" it depresses the plunger and separates the ground contact from the bracket, cutting off the circuit and light.

I don't know if that helps you or not, but that's the deal on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was the problem for future reference?
I think I just has too much tension on the parking brake cables. I loosened the buts on the parking brake cable and that fixed the issue with the light not showing. Now that the light works, I need to check to see if my parking brake will still keep the car from rolling bake when its used.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think I just has too much tension on the parking brake cables. I loosened the buts on the parking brake cable and that fixed the issue with the light not showing.
Sounds like the cable was so tight is did not allow the pedal to fully return when brake was dis-engaged.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
No other dependable method I know of.

I start out a bit loose and incrementally tighten and test until I like the brake.

edited to add: after having my car back on the road for a couple of weeks now, I know I need to tighten my E-brake a bit. It holds the car as is but not forcefully enough. I could have a problem on a slightly steep slope. 😜

1 - 13 of 13 Posts