Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I loosened my parking brake cable to get it out of the way when installing the new subframe bushings. I have it all back together, but was curious about the cable tension.

If I'm reading this correctly, the AIM states that at 3 inches in front of the equalizer on the frame guide bar, you should be at 30lbs of cable tension at full depression.

For me, the cable is pretty tightly stretched at 1.5" in front of the equalizer, the parking brake pedal is comfortably heavy when pushing and reaches the floor without binding, and the car is held into position. I marked it with a marker before disassembly, and it was at the 2" mark. Ironically it works better now than it did then despite the 1/2" difference in tension.

Should I continue to strive for 3", or just leave as is if its working? Just want to be sure that I'm maintaining a safe level of tension.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,301 Posts
First, loosen the parking adjustment, letting cables hang loose a bit, not much.
Now adjust the rear brakes for proper adjustment.
Might even drive the Camaro in reverse to let the service brakes self-adjust.
Then adjust the parking brake to fully firm pedal at 7-9 clicks when applied.
Release parking brake and wheels should turn easily.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Further to Everttte above
The reverse, hit brakes self adjustment, as mentioned in the handbook, only works if the rear brake assembly is clean , assembled correctly and in good condition. Try it... then check manually.

Never adjust brakes by the E brake....once the E brake has been set up corect, as the brakes wear yes u will get more play in the hand brake... but once the reap shoes have been re adjusted, the E brake will not need re adjustment also.
The only times it MAY require adjustment is after being replaced with new cables... till they stretch and settle down.... and maybe when replacing shoes... which also happens to be long term cable stretch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts