Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I pull the headlight switch to the parking light location the interior lights go dim and the fuse(20A) blows.
It blows with all the bulbs in the sockets and without any bulbs in the sockets.
I get headlights/reverse lights and stop lights but no parking lights.
Does anyone have a schematic of the headlight wiring that attatches to the headlight switch?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
What do you know about the circuit... was it working, has the car been in an accident, are these new parts, has anything changed recently etc.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
My schematic in an old Clymer manual shows Brown and black for side markers, light blue and brown for Left park and dark blue and brown for Right park. Looks like each parking light should have a ground to the body. If one of these colored wires is connected to ground, that would do it. Start at the parking lights. Disconnect each one and see if the fuse still blows. If it does, I'd suspect a short to ground somewhere in the wiring between lightswitch and parking lights.

Good luck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The curcuit?
Not too sure what that consists of but no accident and the car has been redone(not by me)

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Stop blowing fuses. Substitute a test lamp in place of that fuse so you can isolate the short. Remove the bulbs and separate connectors until the test lamp goes out. Once it does, you've isolated the short to a specific branch of the circuit. There are lots of schematics posted. You might check the stickies at the top of the forum or do a search.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I was blowing fuses when first connecting all my lights and it sounds very similar to your problem. I found that one of the parking lights was shorted out. Click here for more discussion. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89018&highlight=parking+lights

To further complicate things one parking light was wired incorrectly in the connector plug. One parking light would burn bright while the other would be dim. I switched the wires inside the connector plug to fix that problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The front parking light sockets on 69 models are notorious for failure. They ground out inside or don't make contact at all. Unplug one light at a time and then put a fuse in it maybe that way you can isolate the bad park light housing. Or go the reliable way and put a set of our mirror polished stainless steel driving light conversion kits in your Camaro and have an extra 110 watt of light, glow ring ,park & turn light. Billy

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I "thought" I had it fixed but apparently I didnt.I originally took the bulkhead off and reconnected it and unplugged all the lights that seemed to fix the problem for about a week.
Well yesterday the fuse blew again.
So this time i took the complete front harness out.Reconnected all the grounds and power minus all the lights and its holding for now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well its all back together and the lights work but I dont have the light switch installed(in its place on the dash with nut) its just hanging for now.Could that be a ground problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would guess that if you have the switch hanging, then you definitely have a ground problem. Your headlight switch should have a little metal ground strap that is between the switch housing and the nut that hold it to the dash. FYI .. this ground strap also grounds your wiper switch. They won't work either without it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts