Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS clone, 383 stroker, Viper Fuel injection, 700R4, SSBS four wheel discs
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '68 SS on Friday and noticed all the parking lights turn on when pulling the light switch to the first position, but when the switch is pulled all the way, the headlights come on but the front parking lights turn off. I installed a new light switch but no dice. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Pretty sure that's how they are stock.

When you upgrade to the AWW harness it mentions that and gives you an option to wire them to stay on with the headlights,seems like there was another option to come on whenever the key is in run also.
it's been awhile since I wired mine.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
my 67 lights work as post # 1. "fog lights" & turn signals (brighter) when switch is pulled to 1st position but they go off when headlights are on but work as turn signals. My understanding is this is "normal"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had same trouble on my 69 and i thought that was the way it should be untill i looked at some other cars and saw that they should be on with headlights. Problem was the light assembly did not have a good ground. On a 69 they have studs to attach light to the lower valence with nuts. Make sure you have a good ground thru this stud and nut. Factory nut has star washers on the nuts for this reason

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS clone, 383 stroker, Viper Fuel injection, 700R4, SSBS four wheel discs
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the schematic and the replies guys! I don't see how the switch separates the front and back parking lights. Remember, only the front ones turn off on the headlight position, the rear ones are always on. Even if it is normal, I would much prefer wiring the system so they stay on as it looks much better.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't have a 68 Camaro wiring diagram but on a 67 Chevy II wiring diagram, this setup also has the front parking lights turning off when the headlights are on with the rears staying on and then when the headlight switch is pulled halfway out and the headlights not on, both the front and rear parking lights are on.

The link provided above to the aaw wiring shows a purple not used in the aaw harness but below in the 67 chevy II diagram is shows a purple off of the headlight switch going just to the front parking lights.

SOOOOO, see if you have a purple wire at the headlight switch and see if it indeed goes to the front parking lights (and maybe do a voltage check with the headlight switch in the different positions). If they do I would think you could then disconnect the purple from the headlight switch and join it with the brown rear parking light wire.

Jim

·
Registered
645 Posts
I dealt with my light switch a few weeks ago (1967).

There is a pin on the switch that is un-used in factory configuration.

I don't recall every detail, but you certainly can use that pin to keep the park lights on with the headlamps if it's important to you.

As noted though, the park lights turn off when headlights turn on if you have factory wiring configuration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts