Team Camaro Tech banner

Part out or sell as project?

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  DjD 
#1 ·
I have a real 67 RS/SS without a motor or trans that is all original and has not been changed since bought. The car is full of options and good original unrestored parts (whole doghouse is beautiful and has all wires/relays/etc for hide-a-ways, power disks, perfect black deluxe w/headrests, perfect doors w/tinted glass, air, rear defrost, all RS wiring, good chome and glass). It needs quarters/trunk and rockers. I don't have the original motor. Would I get more money parting the thing out or selling it as a project? If I had the original motor this would be a no-brainer.

#2 ·
jwalsh - (reminds me of one of my favorite guitarist Joe Walsh) If you want to optimize dollars, I would think about taking the car apart and advertising every part here or putting it up for auction on e-bay. When you consider the zillions of parts, many unique to the RS, you could probably do pretty well parting out. Having said that, it's a pain in the butt to pull it apart and box and ship everything. If you can find a buyer for the whole thing, boom, it's gone. My last thought to you is forget about the original motor, fix it up! Lots of really nice Camaros are running around with transplants. Your car sounds like an outstanding restoration candidate. Imagine dropping a little 427 in there...

#4 ·
The reason cars get parted out, is that the whole is worth less than the sum of the parts. Not without pain, though....it's hard work to pull parts...not to mention waht your wife would say.
However, if you want a 67 RS/SS, this sounds like a good base to build from. I'm sure you could locate all the correct date matched engine components. Not original, but the next best thing.

#5 ·
Only time I say part it out, is if there is MAJOR cancer in the body/frame.

Convertible left in the rain for several decades - that kind of thing - part that baby.

otherwise - keep it whole and restore... at least to daily driver status.

there is my .02

Steve

#7 ·
I would think you would get more in parts ,but you have to pull them....work
who knows how long before you sell them all
if you change your mind half way through ...a the good stuff will be gone!

just keep picking away at it ,don't rush
you have a good starting point with a real r/s!

#8 ·
Don't part it unless there is a financial crisis. These cars should be restored and driven, not disappear. My brother and I just bought a 'left in the rain no floors left, etc' convertible that is extremely rough and would be difficult to restore. Yours sounds like a great project candidate.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

#10 ·
I wish you put up your post before I bought my 68. I was looking for a 67 RS/SS but couldn't find an adffordable "project car". I found a few but the sellers had unrealistic prices in mind. If it's a solid project sell it someone who will restore it. If it's a basket case then part it. It's a shame to see a classic ripped apart if it can be saved.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Without the motor or trans it's not really worth anything...you should sell it to me.

Just out of curiousity- why don't you want to restore it or build it?

------------------
1 '68 Camaro, 1 '69 Nova, 1 '69 Firebird, and a whole bunch of bicycles!

#14 ·
I would like to restore it, but the market put a hurting on my plans to buy a house and I don't need another money pit. Lukily, I am not married, so I really have nobody pushing me to sell it but myself. Finally, I just finished restoring a 67rs/ss convertible and I need a break. I really don't want to part the car out, but I have four grand invested in the thing and I don't really want to loose a ton of money. I just don't want to be one of those guys who looks like a clown trying to sell a $4000 project. Although I think the car is worth it, I know alot of guys don't want to pay that much for a project. Since I am not in a huge rush, I think I will take some pictures of it this weekend and post it as a project for what I paid for it and see if I get any bites. Thank for the thoughts. Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.