Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove the headliner around the upper seatbelt mount?

I have 1 of the 2 seatbelt bolts that doesn't want to come out. I was wondering if I can pull that part of the headliner to help get some PB blaster or something on the back side of the bolt's threads.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Is it possible to remove the headliner around the upper seatbelt mount?

I have 1 of the 2 seatbelt bolts that doesn't want to come out. I was wondering if I can pull that part of the headliner to help get some PB blaster or something on the back side of the bolt's threads.
I don’t think that would give you access to the back side of the bolt. And depending on how old your headliner is pulling it back will likely not go well imho.

Try an impact wrench on the bolt.

Don

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Impact driver. No, you won't be able to easily get to the back of the seatbelt mount bolt.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Impact driver. No, you won't be able to easily get to the back of the seatbelt mount bolt.

It is a Phillip head screw. How can I use an impact driver? I would think it would strip the head in 1 second.

As of right now, it is not stripped, it just binds up at about 1/2 way out. I sprayed it with PB blaster and it turns easy but, still binds up.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t think that would give you access to the back side of the bolt. And depending on how old your headliner is pulling it back will likely not go well imho.

Try an impact wrench on the bolt.

Don

It's the original headliner so, I don't know if it would peel back or just rip.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It is a Phillip head screw. How can I use an impact driver? I would think it would strip the head in 1 second.

As of right now, it is not stripped, it just binds up at about 1/2 way out. I sprayed it with PB blaster and it turns easy but, still binds up.
You don't need an impact driver if you already have it broken free. It's just a 1/2" head though, so you could easily put a torx bit on it if you wanted to. Torx bits can have a tendency to shear off though so you'd have to be careful.
I know you put PB Blaster on, but have you soaked it and tightened it back in a few times? If not, try that. I bet it'll come right out. Be careful of drips though. You'll want to keep a towel around the bolt if you have your interior in to catch the liquid.
If you pulled off the pinch weld molding, you could probably peal back the head liner and not have it tear. It doesn't sound like you really need to though and you might end up stretching it. If it's factory and in good condition, I'd leave it alone. It depends on a lot of things though. My factory one was nearly perfect when I started, but after following the rabbit down the hole, I ended up replacing it. I'm glad I did because there ended up being a huge mouse nest above the driver side visor that I never would have known was there outside of a smell...

Reactions: EVL SS

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't need an impact driver if you already have it broken free. It's just a 1/2" head though, so you could easily put a torx bit on it if you wanted to. Torx bits can have a tendency to shear off though so you'd have to be careful.
I know you put PB Blaster on, but have you soaked it and tightened it back in a few times? If not, try that. I bet it'll come right out. Be careful of drips though. You'll want to keep a towel around the bolt if you have your interior in to catch the liquid.
If you pulled off the pinch weld molding, you could probably peal back the head liner and not have it tear. It doesn't sound like you really need to though and you might end up stretching it. If it's factory and in good condition, I'd leave it alone. It depends on a lot of things though. My factory one was nearly perfect when I started, but after following the rabbit down the hole, I ended up replacing it. I'm glad I did because there ended up being a huge mouse nest above the driver side visor that I never would have known was there outside of a smell...

lol, I'm positive I have no mice so, at least I have that going for me!

Are you saying to hammer a torx head over the outside of the screw and let it bite into the head? Otherwise, my screw is not a hex or torx, it is a phillips head screw.

It looks like the prior owner tried to take it out and stopped half way out. I can turn it about 1/8 turn in and an 1/8 turn out. It locks up in both directions. After soaking it, it still turns the same amount but, just easier.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I think one of us is confused. Are you trying to get a Philips head screw out?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It looks like you were trying to get a Philips head screw out and that I was confused. If so, an impact driver (not impact wrench or impact gun) if used carefully will get it past the point your stuck on. Without seeing it, it's tough to imagine what is making it stick. Rust? Peened over? Stripped? etc.

This is the tool I'm talking about if you don't know.

Dang slow connection... stand by.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like you were trying to get a Philips head screw out and that I was confused. If so, an impact driver (not impact wrench) if used carefully will get it past the point your stuck on. Without seeing it, it's tough to imagine what is making it stick. Rust? Peened over? Stripped? etc.

This is the tool I'm talking about if you don't know.

Yes, it is the Phillips screw(2 of them total) that holds the upper seat belt mount to the roof/pillar. Sorry, I can't post a picture. Something is up with this account..

I can get a fresh bit and try a impact screw gun. I am just nervous to strip the head and then I am really in a bad situation.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Yes, it is the Phillips screw(2 of them total) that holds the upper seat belt mount to the roof/pillar. Sorry, I can't post a picture. Something is up with this account..

I can get a fresh bit and try a impact screw gun. I am just nervous to strip the head and then I am really in a bad situation.
No, wrong tool. Hold on while I get a pic. You hit an impact driver with a hammer. I have a bad connection right now.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

After all the years of greatness, our Camaros.net site is going right down the hopper because all the ads are screwing everything up. Once I closed this site, a miracle occurred and my connection went back to normal.
Here is the tool I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Impact-Driver-8-Inch-CMMT14104/dp/B07R96M9VW/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=impact+driver&qid=1573233810&sr=8-11

Reactions: EVL SS

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After all the years of greatness, our Camaros.net site is going right down the hopper because all the ads are screwing everything up. Once I closed this site, a miracle occurred and my connection went back to normal.
Here is the tool I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Impact-Driver-8-Inch-CMMT14104/dp/B07R96M9VW/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=impact+driver&qid=1573233810&sr=8-11

Ok yes, I tried one of those and it didn't budge. It wanted to start to strip and I have the right sized(and new) bit in there too.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Ok yes, I tried one of those and it didn't budge. It wanted to start to strip and I have the right sized(and new) bit in there too.
Is this the area you're talking about? This was how mine looked when I opened it up. If you wanted to get behind a bolt here, you could carefully pull off the sail panel cover. That's separate from the headliner and might give you access to where you need, but probably not. Even if you were to pull off the headliner without ruining it, you wouldn't be able to get behind the bolt. It's enclosed.

20131030_164340 by Dave H, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is this the area you're talking about? This was how mine looked when I opened it up. If you wanted to get behind a bolt here, you could carefully pull off the sail panel cover. That's separate from the headliner and might give you access to where you need, but probably not. Even if you were to pull off the headliner without ruining it, you wouldn't be able to get behind the bolt. It's enclosed.

20131030_164340 by Dave H, on Flickr

That's the area. I guess I will just keep soaking it and working it.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
have you turned it in and out a few times after adding PB?
How far away is it from coming out?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
have you turned it in and out a few times after adding PB?
How far away is it from coming out?

Yes, it is stuck at the 1/2 way point. It was like this when I got the car. Seems someone already tried and left it this way.

I only get an 1/8th of a turn in either direction before it binds.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
sounds like you might be drilling it out...

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds like you might be drilling it out...

Yeah, worst case scenario. I will keep trying until the phillips strips out and then I may grind the edges of the head square and try to get a socket on it. Otherwise, drill away..

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
That's the area. I guess I will just keep soaking it and working it.
That will probably work out ok. PB Blaster is designed to creep its way into the threads. Usually you face the threads down though, so I don't know how well it will work at an upward angle. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts