Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side front tire hits my subframe at full left lock (the driver's side is fine). The tires are 235/60/15's on 15x7 FW code rally wheels.

Is this just a matter of changing the camber on the passenger side so that it doesn't turn so far?

Here is the driver's side at full lock--it has plenty of room:

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
Have you had it aligned lately? Adjustment in the TR ends might help...................I'd pay a few sheckles and take it to an alignment shop.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Is your steering wheel straight when you are going down the road?

You could actually fix this at home with a tape measure. Scribe a line circumferentially around each tire and check your toe-in with a tape measure at a point about 4" off the floor by comparing the measurements between the lines from the fore and aft sides of the tire. Loosen the passenger side tie rod sleeve and shorten the tie rod until the tire won't touch the frame. Tighten the tie rod sleeve then lengthen the other side until the toe-in is back at the original setting. Make sure you roll the car fore and aft a few feet to get any twist out of the tire before you settle on the initial and final measurement.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
that would work as long as he is not hitting the steering stops on the lower control arm, but with 235's i think he would be

so before trying this method check to see if you are hitting the stops on the lower control arm at full lock

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
that would work as long as he is not hitting the steering stops on the lower control arm, but with 235's i think he would be

so before trying this method check to see if you are hitting the stops on the lower control arm at full lock
That's what the steering stops are for, to stop the wheels/tires from hitting something in the fenderwell. The pictures show the tire clearly hitting the frame, so the steering stop isn't being utilized. You could possibly modify the steering stop so it is engaged before the wheel hits the frame.

·
10,158 Posts
Yes, check your steering stops and see if they touch at full lock. One of them might be bent or your steering may not be centered properly.
David

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
That's what the steering stops are for, to stop the wheels/tires from hitting something in the fenderwell. The pictures show the tire clearly hitting the frame, so the steering stop isn't being utilized. You could possibly modify the steering stop so it is engaged before the wheel hits the frame.
sorry i cant see the pictures, stupid web block thing here at school
but yes you are right about his problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts