Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working for a new employer for about 4 months now. My paychecks are electronic deposited, with a check stub and statement sent to my house in Oklahoma. I never really paid much attention to all the tax withholdings...just made sure the hours and OT were correct. Well, I got 2 W-2's from them for the 2006 year...1 for the state of MO and 1 for the state of KS. Each showed that I made the same amount of money in both states with this company, but with slightly different amount of state taxes paid to each state (FYI, the MO state taxes are noticeably higher than in KS). Problem is, I never worked for this company in KS. I went back and checked all my check stubs and every one of them has me paying state taxes in both states. I brought this to their attention as soon as I noticed it...they are going to refund me all the KS state taxes that have been taken out since I started but there is another possibly bigger issue...it looks like I have made twice as much as what I have actually made with this company, which I think is going to hose me up across the board for the 2006 year. How should I handle this? I could just not report the Kansas income from this company (since there was none), but will this come back and bite me in the a$$ with the IRS? Or the state of Kansas?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
No - it will not bite you in the arsh later - IF, you take care of it now :thumbsup:

I used to work in California, for a Delaware Corp. and lifed full time in Colorado ...
Taxes were a real 'biatch' - but, I had a good tax guy (in California) that would sort out the income earned in each state and prepared the correct forms for me to file every year.

I think this is the time for a "real" tax guy to look at the information and make sure you get the correct filing done or you will end up on the hook later.

I still use a tax guy - best $500(++ depending on forms, he always seems to find 'add-ons' every year ;) ...) I spend every year :yes:
Just stick any reciepts and income forms in a envelope and send them to him. He faxes back the filings for me to review and viola - they are done ...
My taxes are done and in this year already - and I only had to attach an 'on-line' authorization signiture to complete them a few weeks ago.

Make sure your employer gives you a cover letter stating why they misfiled your W-2's and stating they have corrected it to attach to you files for the year incase this comes back around in a few years and "everyone forgets" what happened in the first place.

Hope this helps;
John

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All they have told me so far is that "they are working on it". They need to work faster...I've got to get my taxes done!

So, do they have to go to the state of Kansas and get that money back (which I imagine would be like trying to squeeze water out of a rock)? Or just write it off as a screw up and move on? They are going to cut me a check for all the KS taxes, so I really don't care either way, just curious.

John, I do have a tax guy...AKA "father in law" LOL He'll be cussing me this year...4 jobs :sad: , 3 states, travel and away from home living expenses, etc. All it costs me is having to put up with his oldest daughter :D

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I'm kinda confused Travis. Are we talking 1 set of w-2's with an extra page for the extra state?

If that's the case, you just have to file a kansas return with zero kansas income and they will send it all back to you.

If you got 2 complete "sets" of w-2's (fed, pers, and state for each), then that company has a serious screwup to fix.

·
Super Moderator
32,785 Posts
Or, you could do your taxes, if its going to take forever, and always send in an amended 1040 form later.

Or, you could ask for an extension, either way. IRS will let you chose the extended date.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm kinda confused Travis. Are we talking 1 set of w-2's with an extra page for the extra state?

If that's the case, you just have to file a kansas return with zero kansas income and they will send it all back to you.

If you got 2 complete "sets" of w-2's (fed, pers, and state for each), then that company has a serious screwup to fix.

2 complete W-2's. Exact same income, federal taxes, etc...the only difference was the state tax withholdings for each state.
I don't know how I could show 0 income though when the W-2 says I made X amount of money :confused:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
They will reissue a new W2 for the wrong state showing $0 for all fields since you didn't live in that state or work in that state. The additional state money taken out for the wrong state from your paycheck will be refunded to you if in fact your pay stubs show they took out both state taxes. If each month they really only took out the right state taxes then there is no refund necessary. Probably will only take a week or two for the payroll company to get it sorted out, no biggy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The easiest solution is to do what Jim M said. All of your income is reported to both states and you allocate the amount earned in each state on the forms. The amounts withheld (and paid to each state) are based on an estimate by your employer of the split (which the obviously did wrong). Remember, withholdings are estimates and the returns are the true ups.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Did they send you 2 checks throughout the year??? :clonk:

2 complete W-2's. Exact same income, federal taxes, etc...the only difference was the state tax withholdings for each state.
I don't know how I could show 0 income though when the W-2 says I made X amount of money :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts