Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ventured into non Camaro land. I went to pick up a parts Nova for the rear and front sub and the owner had 2 65 Buick Rivieras in the yard. One is a GS with the 425 BB with dual quads:) This is my first venture into anything other than Camaros and Novas. Check out a pic below. Any other Buick owners on this board? I'm looking for good forums - I already found v8buick.com, ROA, and Team Buick.

http://www.thesherwoodgang.com/cars/65GS/dcp_0331.jpg
http://www.thesherwoodgang.com/cars/65GS

-Dan

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We hear about barn finds. This one never made it in the barn, but sat close to it. This was found on a dairy farm about 20 yards from a huge barn. The front was hit my a tractor and the rear was backed into by a farm trunk. Before that, it looked great. It does have some bubbling in a few spots, but would be a nice driver if it wasn't for the 2 hits. This car has an interesting history. The previous owner did a frame off resto in 90-91 in his own rod and custom shop that went belly up a few years later. He actually trailered it to shows and put less than 5k miles on it before he lost interest/money and parked it. He has plaques, trophies, pictures from Autoramas and other shows. In 92 it won best in class at one of the shows. He has a complete album of pictures from the resto that I'm goign to scans of. The motor is a built 425 nailhead with 13:1 compression that he ran on CAM2 race gas. He said it dynoed at 435 horse.

To bad it got to this point, but then again, I would have had to pay alot more for it.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
It's a cool car! Nice find. Shouldn't take too much to get her back on her feet. Sounds like running gear is done. Interior looks good too. What kind of shifter is that?

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I'm a Buick owner (61 Skylark) and used to have a 64 Riviera. 65's are my favorite, nice cars. Watch out for rust the 63-65's seem to like to rust a lot. Look very carefully so you don't get surprised later. Another thing since the car has been sitting out in the weather, check the chrome for pitting. The old Buicks have pot metal and it is VERY expensive to repair/re-chrome. You are going to be in for a bit of sticker shock when you go to buy parts for the Buick. Like you I played with Camaros and a few Novas over the years, you can open a catalog and buy anything you want/need. Things will be a little different with the Riviera. It will be well worth it, the 65 is one of the nicest looking cars ever built (IMO). I have over $3500 in just chrome plating/repair on my Skylark. Granted your Rivi is a bit mor main stream than the 61 Skylark so parts should be a little easier to find. Congrats on the great find.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chrome does need some polishing, but looks usable. I've been looking around at parts and it's definitely harder to find them. You just can't go to a catalog and buy a new fender - or any body part. I've only found floors so far. I am fortunate enough to have Buick Nailhead experts withing 20 miles of me. One of the reasons I picked up the 65 Riv parts car is due to the hard to find parts. The parts car is also numbers matching and restorable, so I'm not going to cut it up unless I have to.

My plan for now is to get it running/driving good, fix up the interior, and do what I can with the two damage areas and paint/trim. Then I'm going to drive it until I get my 68 Camaro completed. After this, it will take the 68s spot in the work shop.

Thanks for all the good responses:)

-Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts