Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having a problem with my pcv valve. It seems to suck an obscene amount of oil out of my valve cover. Two laps around the block and the engine inhales about 3 tablespoons of oil. - Not good. I have two, yes two baffles before the pcv valve. I am wondering if my large camshaft has anything to do with it. my cam specs out at 255 @ .050 w/ 600 lift on a 106 center. I make 7 to 9 inches of vaccum at idle. Do any of you with big cams run a pcv? I used to run without one on my old motor but I'm tired of the oil smell, leaks, and oil blowing out of the valve cover breathers.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi..
I mean to be the party pooper

BUT... that cam is totally not needed in a street engine..and is robbing mucho HP at street level driving..
Also... PCV is NOT something you put on a performance engine...
A PCV takes all your blow-by and mixes into the intake, thus diluting your intake charge also it increases the temperature of the intake charge..also no good..
In theory the PCV is not a bad idea for collecting the unburnt fuel in the blow-by and re-charging the intake with it...BUT in a performance situation the PCV valve will let OIL get by with big pressures...and it is this oil that will cause massive problems when mixed with the intake charge..
You need to use ONLY breathers and to plug up the PCV inlet on the base of the carb...
CHEERS
Chris

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I agree...use a breather on each valve cover and you'll be set. I have run this setup on engines much milder than yours and never noticed any oil smell or had any underhood smoke or leaks. Of course, this was on fairly fresh engines...if you have a lot of blowby, it could get kinda messy, but that beats sucking oil into the base of the carb.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have a 396 with a cam that idles at 11" of vacuum; don't know any specifics on it. I also have a high volume oil pump. Puts too much oil to the valve train.

I have a crankcase evacuation system that pulls vacuum through the header collector. At high rpm I pull oil out of the engine pretty severely. I can go through a quart of oil in 50 miles if I'm driving hard. Doesn't use much oil at all if I'm not "in it".

I was thinking of going to a PCV setup to reduce this. Maybe I shouldn't?

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I ditched the pcv in favor of 2 breathers. However, I'm wondering what would happen if ran the side of the pcv that normaly goes to the vaccum port, into the air cleaner base. Since there is some vaccum there it might be enough to pull the air out of the crankcase, but not the oil. We shall see...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts