Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my headers back from jet hot and installed them...The problem I am having are the header gaskets I ordered..I Brought the percys dead soft aluminum..And am having trouble Bolting them down...Seems they Don't give any resistance..They just collapse..Not sure if I'm how much to torque them down..Anyone ever use these Dead soft Aluminum Header gaskets by percy..If so how did they seal and Did you torque them all the way down..Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Havent used them,but wanted to kick this back to top.Also looking for best header gasket, hopefully soon.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
This is what they say;Installation of the gaskets is critical to the life of the Seal-4-Good gasket. On Percy's Header Flange gaskets make sure you install the gaskets with the smooth side facing the Head. All old gasket material must be removed from the flange so as not to create a "high" spot for hot gases to flow thru. Second, file down any raised areas on the flange again limiting the risks of a leak. Third, do not over tighten the bolts this may cause the flanges to warp causing an incurable leak. And finally be sure to retighten the bolts after a few hours of use to prevent leaking.
I have used this ones without problem, Earl's #EAR-29D03B

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 05-05-2002).]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Orench thanks for the Info..I read the instructions on the Package..And It stated to Clean off old gasket and file down any high spots on the header flange....But the packaging did not say anything about the flat side toward the head.....I installed it flat side toward Header(Since the ports on the head protrude abit I thought the cupped side of the gasket should go toward the head..Guess I was wrong)..You figure for $34.00 Header gaskets they would include better directions...Well I let it run today for about an hr without any leaks...I guess only time will tell..Turning the gaskets around at this time would probably do more harm than good.....Any thoughts..Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those Earl's header gaskets are awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I think you made the correct decision on leaving them installed the way they are now. Just retighten them after a few hours of use as they say.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Hey Badcaiman--

I don't remember which side went where, but I did have some annoying leaks with Percy's.

Solution--add a pair of regular gaskets to the mix. You won't have to take the headers all the way off. This did the trick for me.

Again, I left the aluminum ones on, I just added the regular ones behind them. Hope this helps.

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have always used high quality Fel-Pro gaskets at the head and have never had any problems with leaks. I use the dead soft aluminum gaskets at the collectors and have had good luck.

It doesn't matter what gasket you have, if you ever hit the header on the ground when the suspension bottoms out, the gasket will leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts