Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 383 stroker motor for my 1967 Camaro. It is equipped with an Edelbrock Performer RPM AIR GAP intake manifold.

The carburetor is a 750 double pumper by Quick Fuel. The carb has a single 3/8 fitting for the Brake booster fitting. I can't use the fitting available on the intake underneath the secondary bowl. I only have 1/8th inch gap.

The only way I can use the vacuum fitting on the intake is if I add a 1/2 inch adaptor plate to the carburetor. I fear that that will have clearance issues with my stock SS hood and stock open element air cleaner.

Has anyone run into this in the past? What are my options? Can I tap in a new 3/8 inch nipple? If so, where on the intake is best? Or, will a 1/2 adaptor still give me acceptable clearance?

Help!!!!!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
You could get a vacuum canister and mount that on the side. Summit sells them pretty cheap and it actually helps the brake booster pressure problem inherent with all larger cam lower vacuum pressure. Congrats! I would have jumped on that one also.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You could add a T or a Y fitting to your 3/8 vac. line for power brake &pcv lines.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had the same issue with mine. Couldn't get to the port in the manifold. I just used the port on the carb.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you decide to try the 1/2 adapter plate, there is a drop base air cleaner available that reduces the height of the air cleaner. One word of caution though, if you raise the carb up and install a drop base air cleaner, make sure to check hood clearance with the air cleaner stud removed.

Paul

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
My throttle body has one 3/8 port and I run power brakes, PCV, cruise control, vacuum advance, and a vac guage in the car off it using a variety of hose tees. The only thing added in is an older Corvette booster charcoal canister filter at the brake booster.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would not run a spacer. I have the same intake with a stock hood and a drop base for the filter that has a lot of drop. I have no hood insulation and still have what I consider minimal clearance. I don't know if the SS hood gives more clearance but on my standard hood a 1/2" spacer would bring the filter VERY close to the hood.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
An 1/8" ? You should have more room than that. Edelbrock offers this elbow that will allow you to use a Holley carburetor. Unless Quick flow has a weird fuel bowl, the elbow should fix the problem.

Here it is with my Edelbrock carburetor. I used to have a Holley.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I have the same manifold and carb and also power brakes. Have a big cam and little vacuum. I use the port off the carb with no issue. I did add a vacuum canister from comp cams as some added assurance.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
An 1/8" ? You should have more room than that. Edelbrock offers this elbow that will allow you to use a Holley carburetor. Unless Quick flow has a weird fuel bowl, the elbow should fix the problem.

Here it is with my Edelbrock carburetor. I used to have a Holley.

I use the Airgap with a factory GM heat shield and regular gaskets on each side. I know what you are talking about. I went to Lowes and got the above posted fitting in street T to run my booster line as well as two other vacumn lines.
There was a clearance problem under the heat shield and carb so I milled down the brass fitting to clear. It was about the amount interferance you are talking about.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yep, that Edelbrock fitting doesn't work so hot with a double pumper. The accelerator pump is right over the vac port not just the fuel bowl. Wouldn't work with my throttle body either which is why I just use the one port.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Another issue to be aware of in using a drop base is to make sure there is enough space between thevtopmof the carb and the air filter lid. You don't want to restrict the air flow into the carb. I run a setup similar to yours. I have a drop base with a 4.5" tall filter. Clearance to the hood is good and I made sure I had good clearance between the top of the carb and the lid. I like as much air filter area as possible. If you can use the port on the carb I highly suggest you do so. If you use a carb spacer you will limit the gap between the carb and the filter lid.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you use a vacuum splitter off of the rear carb. fitting, you won't have to use the manifold source that is right under your rear accelerator pump.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I used that fitting on a performer rpm manifold with a holley dbl pumper and 3/8 inch gasket that edelbrock sells it fit fine. If you have the 50cc accelerator pump you may have a problem. I now have that fitting with a half inch spacer and it clears fine. the edlebrock gasket is a little pricey.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I have that fitting and it still did not clear my 650dp. bought a 1/4 phenolic carb spacer from Jegs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not sure if this is what you are referring to, just trying to help. Edelbrock air gap with Quick fuel 780 carb. PCV to carb, brakes to fitting-no issues. For the life of me I can't load a picture to this post. Go to my profile album and it's there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks Brian, I hope this helps whoever started this post? looks like I need to do a little polishing on the back side of my carb?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts