Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see on line that i can purchase some device that has some type of knob you turn to give you more horespower. have any one heard of this or what's the best way to increase horsepower?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, there is Nitrous Oxide, you open the knob on the bottle... OK that might not be what you mean ;) . I don't know of this "device" you speak of, but there are certainly affordable ways to increase HP. Hmmm.. you are running a 1989 Camaro I take it? That 5.0 is fuel injected, but what kind of fuel injection? I ask because while improving your intake and exhaust is always the cheapest and first place to start, you don't want to bum up any O2 sensors. Still, though, it is important to know that you can easily free up some spare horses by getting a good high-flowing air filter and a good high-flowing exhaust/muffler. This is the usual place to start. I don't know how much $ you have to throw around, but making horepower is typically easy, it just takes cash. Bolt-on Horsepower is typically in air intake area, and exhaust area, and even some ignition mods. It's a place to start, anyway, and if you want to go deeper, then you can start looking at cylinder heads (lots of $ ) and fuel injection mods (also more $ ). The title of your thread suggests that you wish to obtain a high performance chip for your car's computer. This can be done. Chips are not really cheap, but they do work, HOWEVER a performance chip in a stock setup doesn't unleash the full potential. A chip will work best when the "in" and "out" ends of the engine have been optimized; this being, as stated above, your intake, fuel system, ignition, and exhaust system.

I think the least cost effective, yet most significant performance gain I have ever seen done to a 1989 Camaro is having a Corvette C5 Z06 push it. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts