Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been using Permatex The Right Stuff for everything that requires a gasket and this is by far the best stuff I every used. Now I have been having a problem keeping my rocker studs sealed (alluminum heads) Ive used ARP sealer, and teflon tape it lasts for about a year then I starts getting puffs of smoke out of the tail pipes and then its time to re-seal the threads again. So my question is Im thinking of trying the right stuff on the threads since it works so well on everything else. What do you think? thanks

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
What about asking professional engine builders what they use? I think Dart makes aluminum heads, I bet they have a reccommendation for you.

alan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did they said to use regular teflon tape which worked for around a year now it is leaking again.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Check out some of the loc-tites available. The one that require a primer applied to a clean surface and and cure times are the best. These are know as anorobic sealants and they work very well. The bad thing is they are not cheap!! Your might be looking at about $20.00 for some.

If you PM me I might have an extra large purple loc-tite that I brought home from work. They give us sealants and other items that can longer be recertifide to a new shelf life. I thinka large bottle like I had (like I said might have another) sells for about $40.00. I am not sure if I can ship it though? I will give it to you if I have extra.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replys im not sure if I should use it or not but at this point I will probably give it a try. I wonder why they drill the holes all the whey through for the rocker studs anyway. seems to me they could stop before it enters the back of the valve area.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I vote for the liquid type teflon sealer.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I wonder why they drill the holes all the whey through for the rocker studs anyway. seems to me they could stop before it enters the back of the valve area.

Red hi temp silicone has always worked for me. Right stuff orta do it, but it's kinda pricey for that app when silicone works so well.

A blind hole would be at least 2 or 3 things
1. take longer, raise cost. Maybe. Maybe not.
2. require studs be exact length or the result would be
3. the thin blind end would get busted out and fall in your chamber when a too long stud got powered in there baby.
4. Maybe again, I think the blind end would be so thin there would also be a potential to hydraulically break the blind end even with just oil on the threads when you screw in the stud.

I always stick my finger into the port and make sure there is no silicone blob hanging at the tip of the stud.

·
Registered
827 Posts
my drag car with afr 220s used to do that. pulled all the studs used harveys pipe sealant with teflon on theards, all better. you can buy it at a hardware store. its cheap and it works!!!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i once had this idea about using small block chevy o ring valve seals to seal rocker studs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts