Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about installing the Ignitor system in my 327 distributor. Does anyone have any experience with this product? I plan to run my old stock coil. My 327 is very slightly modified. I only upgraded the heads, installed a 262XE cam, and a four barrel intake but the exhaust manifolds remain. Should I consider the Ignitor II? Is there a simular system that is better (MSD)? I want everything to look stock and this seems like a good option.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I have the older one, it has been in my car for about 4 years. I drive it every day at least 15,000 miles per year and no problems. I would recomend one. I understand they have a new model out I don't know anything about it though.

Joe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got an email direct from someone that swears they are junk. I need more feedback. So far, two are for, one against. And thanks for the coil advice. What about an MSD equivalent?

·
Registered
320 Posts
69 rag, do not use the pertronix 2! i installed one in my mild mod 327 and 200 miles from home it quit. Cost me 200 bucks to get home. The Pertronix 2 can not take the heat. I had the Pertronix 1 on my z and it worked great without any problems for 3 years until i sold it. With either unit you use i would at least carry the stock points and condenser with you so you can change it out if you break down, or a complete distributer to pop in.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have had the Petronix module for about a year.So far, there have been no problems. It is cheaper to install than the MSD system. Installed the Petronix coil and spark plug wires at the same time. Pleased with the whole set-up and hope if you go this way, you will have the same results as I have had.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
heres my experience, FWIW. i put the first design pertronix in my camaro after i got it, wanted a cheap stealth install. it worked much better than the points (what a surprise), but after about a month it just ceased to function. went out to start the car, nada. took it back, and they gave me another, it was slightly different. (must be 2nd design) put it on, and it never ran worth a crap. at that point i just picked up a junkyard HEI, freshened it up, and it ran best of any of them. i have since gone to a 6al and a pro billet, and won't be going back again. still have the hei as a backup though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 3 cars with pertronix II and they all run great. Just follow the directions to a T. make the distributor end play within tolerances with no contact. Some times that means a little metal bending. I have had very good luck with them. That is the end of MSD for me.

Doug

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
That direct e-mail you recieved might have come from someone that used to post here a few years ago. The product he makes looks to be a very nice one. Some of this will depend on what you are looking to spend. If you double (I could be wrong here)you can buy his product and get something that will work excellent and be somewhat stealthy. The advantage also is that if you break down in B.F.E, you most likely can get a part to fix it with. Pertronix's are getting more popular and I see them in alot of autoparts stores, but it's nothing compaired to O.E.M parts availibility.

I might buy one of his dist. soon, but just don't have the cash to outlay at the momment.

Joe

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i thought the pertronix was designed for a full 12 volts? if you put one in, and don't bypass the original resistor wire, it might be prome to overheating and dying, due to lack of power. just like an HEI module will do. just a thought, and i could be wrong about the voltage requirements.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am pretty sure that you need to use a ballast resistor with the petronix. I used to work in a speed shop and every time we sold one my boss told me to ask if they had a ballast resistor. I think that petronix ignition pieces are just prone to failure. Another similiar case is the Mallory unilite ignition system. Those fail ALL THE TIME, and it costs almost $100 a pop each time to replace the module.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I purchased an Ignitor for my stock distributor. I learned if you rid the resistor wire and replace with solid wire for full 12 volts then you must use the flame thrower coil also or the ignitor will burn up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I purchased on about 6 months ago. I'm happy that I did it. No more setting points, and it still looks stock. I also continued to use my stock coil. No problems with that system so far. Although, my whole electrical system shut down today, but I think that is unrelated.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Dennis, I don't want to open up any old wounds or anything like that but I feel that it is appropriate to mention that just maybe "Iman" could be of use on this one.

Maybe if a guy wants to go over to our sister site, Team Chevelle, and do a search under "Iman" he will learn a bunch on electronic ignition stuff...

Iman is/was a controversial guy kinda like racer 1320, (Ed and his BSE motor), but really knows his stuff when it comes to electronic ignitions...

Right Dennis??

And I do miss both if we could just keep the b/s factor from rearing its ugly head with respect to both guy's!!!

With all due respect here guy's...pdq67

·
Registered
963 Posts
the guy whom was mentioned, Iman, was indeed a very smart guy with ignitions, and although I did have my troubles with him, I would buy one of his products and have been thinking about doing so. His site is www.davessmallbodyheis.com and several people from this site have bought his ignition or have had there own reworked by him and they state it is very good stuff and is a better buy.
Hope this helps.
Bruce :D

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Thanks Bruce.

I really appreciate you posting in here b/c I sure didn't want to drag up all the old sh-t that has happened in the past, but rather give a man his due for knowing a lot about something that guy's like us need help on!!

And thanks for letting this go through, Dennis...

Later, pdq67

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
FWIW, I bought & installed a Pertronix ignitor I and have had good luck so far. It fits in my original dist. for a stock look, no more points & car starts easier now...

Mark P.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts