Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a 68 RS from the ground up. I purchased a stock distributor and installed a Pertonix unit to do away with the points, etc. While I had the distributor apart I freshened it up with a new bearing, a general cleaning and new bushings and springs for the centrifigal advance. Vacuum advance checks out OK. The car runs like crap! It seems like the timing is running late but it won't run with less than 45 degrees base timing. Engine vacuum is poor. I have double and triple checked to make sure the distributor is in correctly, firing order is OK. Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Could the TDC pointer be out to lunch? Find TDC with a piston stop and see if it lines up with your pointer.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
630 Posts
You might also make sure your getting 12 volts to the distributor now that you switched to the Pertonix unit . If your running it through the resistance wire your not getting 12 volts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brand new balancer! I think I may be close though. I just took the rotor off and it looked like one of the cent weights was binding. I happened to have another set of eweights, put some dielectric compound and am now running at 40 degrees with the most stable vacuum gauge I've seen in a while. Readjusted carb idle and mixture and so far...better. Thanks for keeping me thinking!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a whole new wiring harness by American Autowire and used the wiring diagram for an EI setup. I'll double check the voltage but think it may have been a sticking cent weight. I appeciate the reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts