Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general opinion on these in the stock 350 distributors? I was looking at the pertronix 2 unit to put in.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I have one. Works good. Also running their coil. I wanted a stock looking distributor.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I'm looking at is Pertronix 2 and it is a kit 91181. I was thinking of putting this is the stock distributor to keep the stock look too. Kit is $115 at Summit. Looks like a pretty good deal.

Any good alternatives to this plan? It's been a long time since I've purchased this stuff. How does this work in comparison to say a Mallory Unilite type set up?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Depending on budget, everyone that isn't running 7k rpm seems to love the HEI conversions. Two options out there - Dave's small body HEIs (everyone loves the distributor, hates the customer service) and Performance Distributor's "Tri-Power" system (essentially the DUI distributor built on the core of a points distributor). The GM HEI distributor is an option if it clears your firewall but most don't.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I put one in an SS396 replacing a points distributor....could hardly tell any difference, but then again with stock 325 hp cam it's already limited.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
One of the advantages to pertronix is you wont have a fitment problem with firewall like you would by going with a regular sized HEI. .... I have an HEI in my 69. Someone bashed the firewall with a hammer to make it fit. It works, but the firewall looks crappy and it is still really tight to the firewall. .... This rebuild, I am going with the pertronix small cap HEI.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The other option is the Mallory Unilite. Looks stock size. How are those?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've been running for two years now a rebuilt stock points distributor that I shimmed to get rid of the excessive shaft end play and installed a Pertronix Flame Thrower III module and coil. I'm as happy as I could be with it and like it much better than the MSD billet distributor and 6AL ignition box that was in the car when I purchased it. I went with the Pertronix Flame Thrower III as it is easy to install in the distributor but primarily because it has the adjustable RPM limiter which I felt was worth the slightly higher price.

From what I found when I did my research before deciding on the Pertronix is those that have problems with the Pertronix setup are usually due to incorrect installation/wiring which will damage the modules. Follow their instructions and they work as the manufacturer claims.

·
Registered
918 Posts
YEP I agree with Scott 100% I have a complete MSD 6aL System and other than a few small things it is not any better than my old cast iron well tuned Delco Distributor. Check out my posts on this . MSD NEVER AGAIN Alex

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good advice. It would be nice to keep the stock distributor.

That Daves small body alternative is interesting too. I'll have to look into them.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I put the pertronix unit in my stock distributor of my 67 327 last summer. I also used their coil. Seems to work fine. Id rather have an Hei but I dont think it will fit. I was also hesitant after reading all the bad reviews out there but it is working just fine. I have to remember not to leave the key in run or I will burn it out. I dont think the II model has this problem.

·
Registered
1969 RS Camaro
130 Posts
It's a good system and looks stock. No more points or condenser to mess with. I got a kit I am going to put in my 72 Blazer.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well it sounds like the Flame Thrower 3 with coil works well. How would you compare that route vs going Mallory Unilite and coil?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had good luck with the Crane one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts