Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanna go with a 1 wire breakerless conversion and am wondering if anyone has the Pertronix unit ?? Is there a better one ?? Are they any good at all ??

Is $ 70.00 for the Pertronix a good deal ??

Soooooo many questions...:( :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did a search and all I get is retailers wanting to sell me one. I am looking for people who have/had them and their experience with it or any other 1 wire points replacement electronic conversions...;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just installed the Pertronix distributor in my 502. I'm happy with it for the way I use this car, but if you're going to do any serious competing, you'll want to do your home work on what the best setup for you will be. There are similar modules out there that feature adjustibility such as Crane.
It's a clean plug and play install and it's definitely nice not having to deal with points, condensors and ballast resistors.
Tim

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just installed the Pertronix distributor in my 502. I'm happy with it for the way I use this car, but if you're going to do any serious competing, you'll want to do your home work on what the best setup for you will be. There are similar modules out there that feature adjustibility such as Crane.
It's a clean plug and play install and it's definitely nice not having to deal with points, condensors and ballast resistors.
Tim
Thanks Tim, it's just a street car, may see a track a few times for giggles but thats it. I'm just looking for a reliable conversion from the points. Probably use their coil too for a better spark.

Anyone else got any suggestions ??

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Have you tried the search feature on the top of the TC page? Check out the tabs.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried the search feature on the top of the TC page? Check out the tabs.
Just did that...got 5 replies....all from this thread..:(

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Mitch, I'm using the Pertronix breakerless ignition and I am happy with it. If you are going to buy an ignitor....go with the ignitor 2. I have the first ignitor, but I hear from others that ignitor 2 is better. You can use any coil with the ignitor, but Pertronix recommends their Flame Thrower coil for best results.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
I went with a unit sold by M & H wiring because I was impressed with their complete wiring harness in my car and as you mentioned only one wire exits the distributor. http://www.wiringharness.com/ Click the link and then the "No More Points" on the LH side of the page. Since I needed one I also bought their recommended coil.
Call them to discuss your application, their tech support is great. I bought mine from YearOne and there are other vendors that carry it too. Here it is on the YearOne site http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=b774&SM=1&SC=
My car still has less than 100 miles on it, but the engine so far revs to 6M without any hesitation.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just replaced my points with the Igniter II and the Flamethrower coil.
Ordered from Jeg's Part # 751 91181 and 751 45011.
It was the first time I had replaced anything on the dist and had no experience. I marked everything as far as position of the rotor and Dist and followed instructions and it worked great. You DO have to pull the dist, and I wound up installing the supplied shim washer to take out play in the shaft.
I did have to play around with the Carb fuel mix after the change, I had a backfire when I punched the throttle that I did not have before. The adjustments took care of the problem.

Ray

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You must have used the "search this thread" button. When you use the search above in the main bar, you should get this.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/search.php?searchid=800548
:eek: .....:clonk:

I did find all the previous threads you were referring to and came across a link to Daves Small HEI's site. Shot off an email to him..:thumbsup: I kind of like the idea of field available replacement parts in it, and having the whole dist. rebuilt is a plus.

THANKS for all the replys guys....I appreciate the helpfulness...:hurray:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I had Dave rebuild mine, for the reasons you stated. X33D80 couldn't get ahold of him, and when I tried on his behalf, I got no response either. Dave's product is really nice and reasonably priced, but there is a bit of a hassle factor.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: I dug this back up because I got an email from Dave today. Seems he's been quite busy and cold. Said something about getting heat in his shop and would be sending out a batch of spec sheets to people who have inquired around the 1st of Feb...:D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Mitch -

If you want, I will send you an email with the spec sheet, so you can get a jump on the others.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I better wait till he sends it to me....he is finishing up a batch now. Don't want to irritate him..;)

But hey, thanks for the offer....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I didn't mean so that you could ship ahead of time and potentially upset the mad (and cold) genius, I just thought you might want to know what information he needs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts