Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last Camaro I built I used Pilkington glass and was quite satisfied with it. After contacting their Classic Division to order more it appears they no longer exist according to an email they sent me. (They suggested calling Fesler). No luck with Summit Racing as it's on B/O until April.

So I tried my local glass company which sells Pilkington and PGW. Nothing in their warehouses anymore for anything 75 and older. So, unless I can find someone who has a stockpile of this glass I am forced to go with the other companies we always talk about loving and hating... I think that's why Summit has such a long B/O status.

Has anybody had any luck in getting Pilkington or PGW lately?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, for those of you who regularly use these companies, who's your go-to now? (Assuming they are no longer available)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
FWIW Safelite replaced my windshield last year using PGW. They initially tried to get Pilkington. The 2 of those they got were scratched so they sourced PGW which was shipped to them from out of state.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I bought a complete set of glass from Auto City Classics. The vendor is called autocity1958 on Ebay. They sell PGW glass which is made in China. I could not be happier with the product and company. The glass arrived at my house in two huge boxes that were wrapped to withstand a nuclear bomb or FedEx handlers.

Look at the bubble wrap!

I installed the windshield myself using a kit from rustreplace.com. Another good company.

There are no sand etchings on the glass (LOR date code) on my new glass.

I previously bought a quarter window glass from Jegs. Two of them arrived broken. The third one had a huge white marking that stood out like a sore thumb. This was AMD brand. AMD buys their glass from different vendors. Therefore, you will end up with glass with different etchings on the glass from the various vendors.

Auto City Classics side glass is made by PK Diamond. It is the same size and shape. It is thicker than the original. This caused me some difficulty of slipping the quarter window vertical chrome piece on the glass.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I just got new front and back Pilkington windshields from Fessler Glass in December. Talk to Michelle, she was very helpful. Bill

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I just got new front and back Pilkington windshields from Fessler Glass in December. Talk to Michelle, she was very helpful. Bill
Stock size or flush mount?

Don

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions! I contacted Fesler and Michelle quoted me $1120 for the complete set, w/shipping. Dang, I know Pilkington is good but I feel they are jacking up the prices because of Pilkington saying they're not making the Classics Glass line anymore.

tp_smith, I used the same eBay Auto City Classic seller for my 66 C10. The side glass had the same PMK Diamond label. I can't remember what the windshield had on it. I bought the gray tinted side and rear glass. The flat glass was very close to the original in dimensions but I remember seeing spots in the door glass when I wore sunglasses. (They may have been polarized). I can't remember if it looked OK with or without regular sunglasses. The windshield was foggy like it had that film they get when the interior plastic starts to gas. It looks like your side glass is the green tint. No spots to be seen?

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions! I contacted Fesler and Michelle quoted me $1120 for the complete set, w/shipping. Dang, I know Pilkington is good but I feel they are jacking up the prices because of Pilkington saying they're not making the Classics Glass line anymore.

tp_smith, I used the same eBay Auto City Classic seller for my 66 C10. The side glass had the same PMK Diamond label. I can't remember what the windshield had on it. I bought the gray tinted side and rear glass. The flat glass was very close to the original in dimensions but I remember seeing spots in the door glass when I wore sunglasses. (They may have been polarized). I can't remember if it looked OK with or without regular sunglasses. The windshield was foggy like it had that film they get when the interior plastic starts to gas. It looks like your side glass is the green tint. No spots to be seen?
Fesler glass is expensive because they ship it in a huge wooden crate. It’s overkill and drives up the cost imho...

don

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That makes sense. My Auto City Glass came in two, (I think) boxes, very well protected. Michelle said the shipping was $225 to a commercial address from Scottsdale AZ to Alamogordo NM. 460 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Side glass is tinted green. No spots or cloudiness in the glass. I haven't put on my polarized fishing sunglasses. Maybe the tinting saved me? There were little glass bumps along the bottom of the side glass. The bumps are always covered by the door. You can see them in the photo below. The look like little white specks.

My windshield has a tint bar along the top. The rest of the glass is clear. No clouds.

I guess I got lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear. Auto City got back with me on the brands they carry. They said it will vary. But they guarantee fit and against defects. Free return shipping. Other than a PITA to return glass I suppose you can't ask for more. But, my definition of fit or defects might be different from their's.

Still deciding... Thanks for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts