Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to hang inner fenders, so I'd like to install the splash shields. I have the AIM open, and I just can't picture how the fifth one, driver side under booster, fits and attaches.

I've read the archives, and I have a verbal description, but I'd like a visual too. I assume that with a booster and engine in the way, it may be pretty hard to get a good photo, but I thought I'd ask.

With the Z-bar and everything already in, and depending on where the staples are supposed to attach, this fifth shield may just go back in the bag.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
I have not yet mounted the splash shields, although I drilled the holes for the staples. Eric, what are you using for staples? I picked up a few sticks of 1/16" stainless steel TIG welding rod to make staples, but have not yet tackled that project. Thanks for the photo RamAir. I was also puzzled as to how that one installed.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I used galvanized bailing type wire. Can pick up what is basically a lifetime supply for just a few bucks, and its much easier to use than the staples that come with the new splash shields.

dave

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bought these splash guards too, and was wondering, is it easier to install them on the inner fender before you install the inner fender? Is there anything or anywhere that shows where the staples holes should go? Or is it better to just wait and do this when the inner fenders are installed in the car?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The shields that go around the a-arms and the bottom of the inner fe nders are easiest when the inner fenders are off.

The rear shield in the pic (and the one on the other side) need to go on the body before the fenders/inners, or you'll never get them on (I had mine all set, then forgot them in the excitement... they livein the "spare parts" box now.)

·
Registered
421 Posts
You know, I found a metal piece with some of the original flat still attached with two holes that fit the bracket that holds the inner fender on...and I can see how the flap in the picture in this thread attaches around the e-brake cable, but I did not get and do not have the other clip on the right side that holds the flap...any ideas where to get this clip from?

You would really think that we can send a man to the moon (at least that is what people believe in the other post here...LOL), but they cant come up with an easy way to install these flaps...go figure.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Theyre really not too bad to install, especially when theyre out of the car and after youve thrown away the staples that come with them.

Here are some pics of the inner fender flaps. If youre using the original inner fenders, just use the existing staple holes. Helps to open them up just a hair with a small drill bit. Use the diagram in the AIM if youre needing to create new holes.

dave

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow, those look nice...can you come do mine for me...lol...

What is an AIM? I have one new inner fender and one with holes already in there...some of the holes look like they missed the original flaps or were right on the edge...and some only had one hole in the inner fender.

What size bailing wire did you get?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
thx, live.

AIM=Assembly Instruction Manual. Its not uncommon for the original flaps to have only half of the staple holding it, or some missed completely.

Just off the top of my head, I think it was 14 or 18 gauge wire. I can check for sure tomorrow. I took one of the "new" staples with me to the Tractor Supply Co., and just compared to get the same size wire. Ive fought with the new staples in the past, and had read on here about using a different wire. Was so much easier, I wont even consider using the supplied staples.

dave

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I bought stainless steel staples I think from http://www.oldmusclecars.com/ or NPD or Classic (gee, I cant remember!)
Anyway, they were a piece of cake to install.
These are my A/C baffles and I think they turned out as good as original.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Compared to the original, the new flaps are some pretty flimsey rubber about half the thickness and feel like they would tear or melt pretty fast...I wonder if there is some other material or thicker rubber that can be bought and just use these as a template to make something that might last more than 6 months...

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Has anyone found a source for these splash shields that are not so flimsy? I wouldn't mind buying them again if I could locate better quality.
I am now working with mine and am making staples from 1/16" stainless steel welding rod for TIG welding. They seem to work good, but I really have to work with them.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
my earlier post....The holes in 67 ( and I assume all years) are approx .045" while the staples provided are 1/16 (.062). For my restoration, I purchased soft stainless wire (12'' lengths) .043 dia Malin Company part 7855 McMaster-Carr supply. Was easy to work with (cut, bend and form) and wont rust. The piece at firewall (earlier ref) was not installed on all vehicles in 1967..mine did not have it.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I know Ive shown you this already, but just for future reference if needed:

dave
Old thread, yes.. Hey Dave, where did you get the clip from? (GM 3921872)
Also, the AIM shows 5 staples are required. What do they actually staple onto?
Any more pics from different angles? I am yet to fit the inner fenders and am having trouble visualizing...
Thank you. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.