Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello gents:

I have a '68 Camaro Convertible that I am putting an LS2+T56 in to. The engine is set-up for drive-by-wire and I'm using the factory PCM which will allow me to use cruise control via the PCM.

I searched here and other sources trying to find out if the '68 has a clutch safety switch. They apparently do not but the '69 does. My question then is can I install the '69 clutch safety switch in a '68? I know the wiring is simple in that it is just in series with the starter wire but I don't know if the switch and rod/linkage would install on the '68 pedal or how it is mounted.

Can anyone shed some light on this... better yet with a picture?

Thanks very much for the help!

:)

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
68 did not have any start safety switch with a manual trans.

The 69 switch and link can be adapted, but I can't imagine a tool that would drill the holes needed to mount the switch without forst removing the entire pedal / steering column support.

I looked into this this past winter, and settled on using my tko500's built in neitral switch (with a relay) as a safety. It works great, car will only crank in neutral.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Jim!

The T-56 doesn't have a built-in neutral/clutch safety switch and relies on a switch wired to the PCM (versus in series with the starter solenoid). My problem is the computer has VATS and other security features that may not be practical to get working in order to use the '06 Corvette factory stuff.

The pedals are loose at this point so its not a problem to drill holes, I just don't know where the switch mounts in relation to the pedal. I assume its on the inner firewall and then the linkage connects to the pedal, but I don't know.

I could, as you suggest, use a relay with the Corvette switch (its low current and the contact/wiring is probably not rated for the current of the starter).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Within the past few months, I started a thread on this very discussion. There were pics of the 69 setup posted. The pedals are not the problem, easy to pull them out and drill the hole. The switch bolts to that main support thingy, the one the pedals hang from? The one that holds up the steering column and keeps the whole dash from shaking loose? The holes for the switch are not there in a 68.
The switch connects to the pedal with a link rod, the whole setup is very similar to the factory 4 speed backup light switch.

If you advance search for threads started by me, within the last 3 months, keywords "neutral safety switch" you'll find the thread.

A relay connected to the switch I allready had installed was the best way for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts