Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
there are many times that Team Members need pictures and / or drawings with dimensions for mounting a console or console gauges, locating the traction bar plate, fold down seat brackets, muncie cut out and clips, etc, etc.

I know that it would kill the bandwidth to have the pics located on the site, but how about if we can get some free sites to host the pics and have links to them here in it's own forum?

It's nice to help other members out, but it's time consuming sending out pics for similar or multiple requests at different times.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Lol Just came here to make a similar suggestion
I run a server on endangered Kakariki parrots, like this site it is a help/reference site, and in a similar manner is the top ref for Kakarki anywhere with an active support community and in the top 1 to 5 rank of all search engines.
Early on I found remotly hosted reference pics in forums often 'disappeared'.
So I modded the site and added a "attach mod" to enable pics to be held on my web server...perminent. I use 'nuke, I dont know the opition avalible in VBulliten, or if its possble. Another issue is site securtity and script kiddies uploading. Thu in Nuke there is further mods to prevent such issies.
We also have a gallery for members..but as Admin I was continually explaining how to link from site gallery to a post..The attach mod sorted that also.
And example post here.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=536532&posted=1#post536532
With nuke, uploaded pics can be auto edited, dimenstions/file size set in Admin CP to stop pics distroing page layout and conserve BW...The web server must also have ImageMagick, and or netPBM loaded, so it depends on the services that the host provides.
I think loading forum reference pics to the server should be seriously considered as it is very apparent this site is in for the "long haul"
Cheers
Steps

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
As Al said, paying members get space, both in the showroom section and just generally to attach photo's to posts. Those attachments are uploaded and stored permanently on Team Camaro. I "think" gold members get 10 mb, and "regular" members get 5. I don't know what will happen when that limit is hit, but (after only 3 months!!!) I expect to find out soon.

I've also found that once a file is attached, it's easy to go into usercp/attachments, and reuse it in another post.

For a lot of stuff (before membership), I have a TeamCamaro folder on my website where I put pics that I linked into posts. This is permanent, at least as long as I hang out here and continue to pay my comcast bill.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I don't know what will happen when that limit is hit, but (after only 3 months!!!) I expect to find out soon.
Or in other words, u started something and It just TOOK OFF, way bejond your expectations lol
I know the feeling, I started kakariki.net simply as a acedemic excersie..1st web site I ever made(and only) and setting up an apache server, email server etc... Now stuck with it lol...Not on this scale thu...But I dont think their are as many Kakariki parrot breeders as there are camaro owners worlds wide.

I "think" gold members get 10 mb, and "regular" members get 5. I don't know what will happen when that limit is hit, but (after only 3 months!!!) I expect to find out soon
Maybe worth thinking about now...10 meg, If each pic is cut to 25 to 40kb..That is a redulious number of pics.
And culling storage, most prob like us members join, and never return for 6mths/yr, but if those are 'ref pics' you will have a major sort to go thru, at the last minute?
Oh the whoes of Admin lol.
Admin ing a site is very time consuming, even with a good bunch of moderators/staff. I take my hat off.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
On our site after a bit of trial and error...in the galleries and forums, auro resizing is set to max 600x600 pixels(edits down longest side) and 45kb
Anything large slows page load,
Every so often I go into the folders on the server, batch edit the pics to save at .jpg 18%..this bring them down to 18 to 35kb, ave around 25kb even after water mark/copyright is added. This still gives a reasonable pic for web page purposes.
A note: on our site storage is not an issue...I built/ own the server and have full 24/7 access to it to add harddrives what ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts