Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to replace the pilot bearing in a 73-350 which I am going to put in my 68 Camaro. I first tried using a dowel after filling the bushing hole with grease. I pounded on the dowel with a hammer and the grease eventually squeezed out. Then I went to a rental place and rented a pilot bearing slide hammer. After moving the weight back to the end of the handle many times I was unable to get the bushing to move.
I would appreciate any ideas on how to get this bushing out.
Thanks, Warren

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Take a hammer, a sharp chisel and cut it out of there.

Just avoid damaging the surrounding surface, and wear goggles.

That bronze is soft, and breaks pretty easily.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTophttp://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 09-16-2002).]

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Use a 9/16 or 5/8 tap when it bottoms out it will then push the pilot bearing out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another idea for this is to drill holes into the material and then colapse it with a hammer and punch.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I like that tap idea. I used the grease method and it was interesting!!

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Never tried the tap but a 5/8s cap screw will thread into the bushing and when it bottoms against the crank it will push out the bushing.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I like the grease and wooden dowel method. You need to repack the grease if the dowel bottoms out and continue the process. It can be a little messy but a rag around the dowel will help as PDQ mentioned.

-Mark.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Use the tap, 30 seconds later the bushing out and no mess!!

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I made a 0.575" dia. punch and used wet newspaper inside the bushing instead of grease, to avoid any mess. It worked for me.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 09-18-2002).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions on getting the pilot bushing out. I tried the wet paper and the soap in the bushing and drove a dowel in but the bushing still wouldn't budge.
I finally went to the parts store and bought a 5/8 coarse tap and put threads in the bushing. I had a bolt and put it in the bushing but when it got to the bottom it turned the engine over. I got my electric wrench and put on the socket and tightened the bolt,out came the bushing.
Thanks again.
Warren

1 - 13 of 13 Posts