Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in my 10bolt truck. I installed a 4.10 ring and pinion in here the same way that I've done several other rear ends. I started hearing a whine and looked inside. The bearing had moved about 1/16'' off of the shim. The yoke nut was tight. Backlash is good and wear pattern good also. I used the old crush collar as I've done before. What could be wrong?

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
May not have backed off, just did not use a new crush sleeve and get preload set. You already have "maybe " worn a little pattern on the gear. It takes alot of torque to crush a new sleeve, about 150 -200 ft.lbs just to preload the bearings.

I would take apart and put a new sleeve on it and reset preload without pinion seal in place. Once doing that then install new pinion seal and tighten yoke back up.
I have used the same crush sleeve at times when I did not have a new one available. I would "restraighten " out sleeve and reinstall but as cheap as these things are and problems that this can cause, get a new one even if it comes for the "help " section at Autozone or many other stores. You should always try to use a new nut in the final makeup too.
I hope you can salvage your work.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Never use a used crush spacer when replacing gears, bearings or anything else that requires removing the pinion gear. Don't use a spacer at all durring the trial assemblies, but put it in on the final assembly and don't back the nut off again. Use red Locktite on the nut on the final assembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts