Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

In setting up my 8.875 pinion preload, I'm getting two different mesurments.
I'm using a Raytek solid spacer with shims (thanks BGH) and new bearings. Using a old pinion nut, and tightening to 125 foot lbs.
On the loose side, I'm getting around 16 Inch pounds, measured with a Snap-On 0-30 inch pound Torqometer. This with .038 worth of shims (.016+.012+.010.)

Shimming down .002 to .036 (.020+.016) gets me around 25 Inch pounds. I've ensured that the shims are clean and the outer races have been seated, the bearings are oiled with gearlube. I've spun the pinion many times before taking a torque mesurment. I'm amazed at how tight 25 inch pounds actually feels! It's almost like it's binding. I've learned how two thou can really make a difference in preload.

My question is, should I go with 16 or 25 inch pounds? Seems with the shims I have, I'm unable to get .037.

Cheers and thanks again, Mark.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you think I'll actually get a little more preload by simply adding more torque to the pinion nut? I would have thought that 125 ft lbs would have just about been it, but there's actually more room for compression...hmmm.

Excellent, I'll give it a shot!

What would be the minimum safe preload that I could go with?

Cheers and thanks everyone, Mark.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, No... don't get me wrong, I do understand why the pinion setup needs a certain amount of nut tension to keep the bearings trapping the spacer. It's just that the spacer kit recomended only 125 ft/lbs.

Yes, All the shims did have a slight die burr around the inner and outer edge on one side, but I cleaned them all up. I'll check everything very closely when I break it down for the extra shim. Your right, it must be somthing with the spacer or shims, allowing the bearings to move closer together with the extra torque.

Later,mc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.