Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I have a 12 bolt rear end that was completely rebuilt about 2 years ago. The rear end is fine, quiet, and not leaking but a recent drive shaft problem (broken clip groove) has caused the tabs on the pinion yoke to slightly deform. I have replaced the driveshaft with a new one from Rick's and it fits fine. The problem is that the 1310 U joint has about .150 to .200 inches of additional clearance between the ears in the old pinion. The ears are now too wide.

My quesiton is can I replace the pinion yoke without replacing the seal and changing the pre-load? I was planning on taking the nut and washer off, replacing the pinion yoke, and re-install a new one with a new nut and washer and torque to 150ft lbs. I'm just concerned about disturbing an expensive rear end rebuild. Also do you need to use a puller to remove the pinion yoke much like a pitman arm? As you can tell I have no rear end experience.

Thank you for your help.

Hynek

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
You can replace the yoke and torque the nut to 150 foot pounds. This has been covered many times on this sight. Might make some good reding for you. Go back to the top of the page and click on search.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Freddie -

Thank you for your answer.

I will order a new pinion yoke this week.

Have a nice Easter.

Hynek

1 - 3 of 3 Posts