Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to calculate (estimate) piston to valve clearance before I have the cam installed? Is there a calculator out there?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...obviously using assumptions for cam lift and rocker ratio

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I'd think that it would be VERY hard to figure. Possible I suppose, IF you know exactly what the cam events and lobe profile are, but you'll never get the lobe profile unless you map it out your self, and if you have the cam to map it, why not just slide it in?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not just slide it in?
I don't have the cam yet, so I want to figure out how much valve lift I can go with before I order it. I'd hate to get the cam and then determine there's not gonna be enough clearance.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
This indeed would be a good calculator. Seems like if you know all the specs, it could be done.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
...Seems like if you know all the specs, it could be done.
Problem is it's more than just specs. The valves and pistons typically come their closest at 20-30 degrees before (intake) and and after (exhaust) top dead center. You could pull 4 standard profiles with 280 advertised duration (magnum, XE, hydro roller, mech roller) and get VASTLY different measurements depending on how quickly the valves are coming off the seat.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
.....You could pull 4 standard profiles with 280 advertised duration (magnum, XE, hydro roller, mech roller) and get VASTLY different measurements......
So that means we really don't have all the specs. Right? Wrong? These cam co.'s surely know even though the info might not be accurately advertised.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There are so many variables to this, more than cam specs, it's better to measure. Better safe than sorry.

Variables include: deck height, milled heads, compressed head gasket thickness, vavle size, pistons, how the pistons are clearanced ('eyebrows') for the valves.

With all of these variables, it wouldn't take much to be off, just a little. I can't think of anyone that would want to take on all that liability to develop a calculator.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Good start on the variables list. Any more?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just put a voodoo in my 454. Pretty knowledgeable people said that I should have enough P/V clearance to drive a truck through. Guess what? Not even enough to get the spare tire through!

Lift has really nothing to do with P/V, its the overlap and other things. The Voodoo cams have such an aggressive intake valve that it actually almost hits the piston while chasing it down on the intake stroke. Closest was at 5*-10* ATDC.

Bottom line is check. Get your cams from Summit, so you can return them w/o an argument if needbe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts