Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing an IROC box on my '67 this weekend (weather permitting).

I was test fitting some parts and realized that I do not have a NEW nut that holds the Pitman in place. Assuming I can use the NUT from the manual box, correct (it does thread on)?

Also, the pitman ARM doe snot appear to go onto the shaft very much at all--is this a "press fit" item, or can I crank it into place using the Shaft NUT and Lockwasher?

Any better recommendations on installing the Pitman?

Also, going from manual to power, am I correct in assuming I MUST get a new alignment done?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
Would defiantly recommend an alignment. Not positive the arm is the same on power vrs non. Did you change the valve in the pump?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would defiantly recommend an alignment. Not positive the arm is the same on power vrs non. Did you change the valve in the pump?

What valve in the pump needs to be changed?

I do have the adapter fitting for the box, so I can use the original style lines...

Arm itself does not appear to be the same--I do have a replacement arm that is meant to work with the IROC box and the first gen. Just did not come with the nut.

As for installing the arm, do I need to take it somewhere to have it press-fit? I don't think so, but want to confirm...

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
As for installing the arm, do I need to take it somewhere to have it press-fit? I don't think so, but want to confirm...

No. just put it on. The nut and washer will wedge it onto the shaft.

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
You need to change the valve in the steering pump. It is behind the nut where the pressure line screws in. The IROC one is a different pressure setting. Yours will work, but would work better with the IROC valve.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to change the valve in the steering pump. It is behind the nut where the pressure line screws in. The IROC one is a different pressure setting. Yours will work, but would work better with the IROC valve.

Where would I get said valve?

First I've heard of this change requirement...read some of the other changeover posts extensively...

Always something, LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
The valve is shorter than the regular one. I got a few from junk 3rd gens.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posting to say thanks for all the advice, instruction, and patience with stupid questions!!

Just completed the IROC upgrade...

Steering difference is amazing, and going to take some serious getting used to!

went from a manual 4.5 lock to lock to the IROC 2.5 lock to lock--responsiveness is unreal, and the ease of the steering is incredible...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts