Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building a 427 tall deck bbc, I plan on making my 69 Camaro a 4 speed car. I am getting close to installing it and ordering my clutch kit.
I'm using a Lakewood bellhousing, Muncie M20 etc.
I was looking at my block to see where the clutch linkage pivot ball attaches to the block.
I see a threaded hole just above the oil filter I believe is for a pressure sensor and there's another threaded hole about 1" in front of the oil filter.
Is this one for the pivot ball, does it attach the the bell housing on a 427 Tall Deck block?
I just put about $6k into building this motor so I'm HOPING there is a provision for the pivot ball cause I am dead set on a 4 speed car.
Thanks in advance
Jeff Z

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
If you have two, they are both higher up!

About 1" in front of the bellhousing flange above and to the rear from the oil sending unit port and the other say maybe 6" farther forward and above and fairly close to a freeze plug.

Ed Staffel's great book has a pic of a tall deck w/ only one Z-bar ball stud hole.. And he say's that some have as many as three, but I've never seen more than two ball stud holes.

Now I will say that my '67SS/RS 350 engine's 11" bellhousing has a hole to thread just in back of the hole closest the bellhousing flange so that the ball stud can be mounted to the bellhousing for some car/truck use....

Hope this helps..

pdq67

PS., and Gen V blocks don't have any ball stud bosses...

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I'll wager he is looking at the oil cooling line holes in the block. If yours is a Generation five block (a 454 not a 427) then it doesn't have a bell crank (aka Z-Bar) mounting hole and you will have to buy the $60 adapter that bolts to the bell housing from I think Scoggin Dickey (they or one of those Chevy dealers) sell a remote mount ball stud for ZZ502 motors that also do not have a mounting threaded hole.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a gen IV 427. I will get out the linkage kit tomorrow and see if it threads into the one hole. It is a blind hole so it may be for the ball.
If not atleast I can still use it with the aftermarket bolt on, I have too much invested in this engine to sell it and start over. I definately want this to be a 4 spd car.
Thanks for the aftermarket adapter tip.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Jeff,
I have a 427 tall deck in my 68, and it is a manual trans car. I have a Lakewood bellhousing. I made a bracket that bolts to the bellhousing and the other end is where I bolted the ball for the z-bar.
Took all of 15 minutes to fabricate. Relax, this is not a problem at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts