Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got a Miller Spectrum 125C plasma cutter.
Can anyone tell me:
- how often (operating hours) the consumables should be replaced?
- which consumables should normally be replaced?
- how you can tell the consumables are worn?
I've read the owners manual and would like some more specific info from someone who uses this tool.
TIA,

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hi Joe,

I have a Miller Cutmate 375. The consumables that I replace the most are the electrode and the front tip.

The torch on mine is an ICE27c, slightly different then yours which should be an ICE12c. There is a metal/fiber collar that holds the tip in. Turn it counterclock-wise to take it off. Inside you'll see three things. The tip (has a hole in it, and looks like a small thimble, and sticks through the collar... The electrode (small rod with wider base) , ... and a swirl ring (phenolic plastic, probably a brown color ring).

I have had my plasma for 5 years, use it alot, and have only replaced the electrode 5 or 6 times, and the tip about the same. I have never replaced the swirl ring, or the outside locking collar.

I'm sure each person's use will vary, and make giving you a straighht answer difficult. However, you will notice a distinct performance decrease when the electrode is worn, and the tip's hole will start to get larger in diameter.

Buy your consumables in a kit. It's a much better deal. Here's a link to the kit that should fit yours:

http://store.cyberweld.com/plcokitsp122.html

Call me if you need more info, or post back here.

Hope everything is going well on your project ... from what I can see in the pics, and what I saw when I saw the car in person a few years ago, ... the project and , both your & Jeff's skills, have come a long way :thumbsup:.

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
I've got the Miller 375, the outer tip get's worn and larger ID, then the plasma comes out on an angle which makes terrible cuts.

Doing plunge cuts will shorten the life as will cutting thick metal at high settings.

The electrode tip inside wears or forms deposits, and the arc won't start when you push the button.

Keeping the air supply clean and dry is very important.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a mac in the garage that I don't use becaause it "consumes" too much. It is cheaper for me to use the torch.

I could indeed be doing something wrong, but none the less I am not going to spend a fortune on comsumables learning.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Joe,

I have a Miller Cutmate 375. The consumables that I replace the most are the electrode and the front tip.

The torch on mine is an ICE27c, slightly different then yours which should be an ICE12c. There is a metal/fiber collar that holds the tip in. Turn it counterclock-wise to take it off. Inside you'll see three things. The tip (has a hole in it, and looks like a small thimble, and sticks through the collar... The electrode (small rod with wider base) , ... and a swirl ring (phenolic plastic, probably a brown color ring).

I have had my plasma for 5 years, use it alot, and have only replaced the electrode 5 or 6 times, and the tip about the same. I have never replaced the swirl ring, or the outside locking collar.

I'm sure each person's use will vary, and make giving you a straighht answer difficult. However, you will notice a distinct performance decrease when the electrode is worn, and the tip's hole will start to get larger in diameter.

Buy your consumables in a kit. It's a much better deal. Here's a link to the kit that should fit yours:

http://store.cyberweld.com/plcokitsp122.html

Call me if you need more info, or post back here.

Hope everything is going well on your project ... from what I can see in the pics, and what I saw when I saw the car in person a few years ago, ... the project and , both your & Jeff's skills, have come a long way :thumbsup:.
Bill,
Great to hear from you. We hope all is well with you and your Dad.
Thanks for the compliment on our work. We may not be the fastest, but we do keep trying 'til we get it right <LOL>
After re-reading my Miller manual, I found where it says to replace the electrode after the electrode tip hole gets to 1/16". Ours is twice that size, so it's been needing replaced for a while. When we start a cut, it'll cut for about 1/4" and then the arc shuts off.
Thanks for the parts link, I was looking at that kit. I'll order it this week.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Also, FREE shipping from that company I sent you the link to ( http://www.cyberweld.com ) . I have bought a ton of stuff from them, and have had ZERO problems! Highly recommended in my opinion. I am not affiliated with them in anyway, just a dedicated customer. They are in New Jersey, so you would probably get it in 2 days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.