Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to help out a friend with a '69 Camaro 396. He was using a small plastic gas tank to put a couple of gallons in the tank and the plastic extension tube slipped off of the portable jug and fell into the gas tank. He stopped filling it immediately, there's probably a couple of gallons of gas in the tank.

It's a small, maybe 6 inch piece of flexible plastic tubing.

Can he drive it like that? Will it damage the sending unit? In order to remove it is the only option to drop the tank?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I doubt it will actually damage anything. It will probably float, and may interfere with the float for the fuel guage, causing wrong readings, maybe.
Other than that, I don't think it will hurt anything.
As it was made for contact with fuel, it shouldn't decompose.

The only hole in the tank big enough to fish it out of is the hole where the sending unit goes, gotta pull the tank for that.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I vote leave it. Like Jim said, it won't decompose and the worst that can happen is it gets under the sending unit float and gives you an incorrect reading on the guage though that may never happen either. Too much work/cost to pulling the tank over something like that.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thanks, that's what I figured. Any idea how hard of a job, how much it should cost?
It should not cost anything, but some time and do it yourself. It would not be that hard of a job to do yourself. The tube probably won't hurt anything though. Just disconnect the ground wire, the wire leading to the sending unit and the fuel line coming from the sending unit. Then just take off the 2 nuts that hold the support straps. You can put a jack under the tank to help lower it down. Then it's just taking out the sending unit out the top.

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
Leave it. But, if you do decide to remove it, liberally soray the studs with PB Blaster a couple days before to help remove the nuts. Use antiseize going back together.

If you do break the bolts, you can replace them with carriage bolts of the same length or allthread rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts