Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I will take the ribbing for this but;

I have a 1968 Camaro, and I am in the process of ATTEMPTING to put the sound deadener in. I am not having much luck.

The brand is "Repops" and I just cant seem to figure what they had in mind as to the layout of the pieces. Box came with no diagram.

I assume the plastic coating goes up to keep moisture away......

Am I just a dummie, or does this stuff just not fit well?????

I am assuming some of you guys have used this brand before.....

Please help......... any diagram or assistance would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
original,

no question is a dummie question. Are you talking about the sound deadener between the trunk & back seat. I have a 1969. I'm no expert by any means in this area, but I'll try to help.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I have a set of 'Repops' sound deadener panels, but I decided not to use them. I went with a different brand of sound deadener. It's a bummer that they don't come with any instructions whatsoever, but my impression is that the plastic is just there to keep the sheets from sticking together before they are installed. I think you pull the plastic off and then that sticky side would mount on the metal floor.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I used the same deadener, didn't seem to fit. I just laid it out the best I could. Some parts, the plastic went up, others was down.
I'm assuming you are talking about the asphalt stuff on the floor.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Were are those pic's. I use a about the same thing on my car. If you have pic's I can tell you easier how they go and number each piece so we will be on the same page. Mine came with no instruction also I just placed them until it looked right. When they are placed correctly you will know. Believe it or not.

279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well folks here is the deal..........I just delved into the usual approach most of us car folks do.........I cracked open some really cold Pacifico beer with fresh lime, and went for it.....I have no idea if I did it "Right" but it seemed to work out. You are right though the parts of tar paper crap did not seem to fit worth a sh*t...........:mad:

I wanted to get some more effective "Deadening" qualities from this installation, so I went to Lowes and bout some jute underlay for under laminate floor ........not too thick, yet I assume will help with some noise....and it has a plastic cover to act as a moisture barrier. I saw that some of the posts said not to use jute as it will hold water, but I figure that after new weatherstrip if I get that much water in her I have bigger problems.

Anyhoo, I got it down, and finished refinishing my console (except I need a new cover or door)

Here are some pics....... I know that I am a total rookie, but tell me what y"all think huh??? I can take it!!:thumbsup:

Was a bit tedious, but woth the work, and I am pretty satisfied with the result!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looks like you did a great job! All you have to do now is your dash and the lid on the console...i've had good success with the SEM Elastomeric stuff..you can use it for both.

279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I am going to order a new console lid, the dash doesn't need any paint, only a cleanup; it is in surprisingly good shape. I am also going to get a new set of AC balls and bezels, trim rings for the lighter, lights etc, and new handles for all as well.

I think that next will be headliner, then seats..........

How tough to recover them myself?????? I have some skills, but have not done that before....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, I am going to order a new console lid, the dash doesn't need any paint, only a cleanup; it is in surprisingly good shape. I am also going to get a new set of AC balls and bezels, trim rings for the lighter, lights etc, and new handles for all as well.

I think that next will be headliner, then seats..........

How tough to recover them myself?????? I have some skills, but have not done that before....
Headliner is pretty straight forward, just takes time and patience. The seats all depend on the mfg of the covers. I did my 81 with no problem, but when i tried to do the 67 I couldnt get them to hog down without major puckering. I took them to an upholstery shop, and they told me the tie downs were sewn on upside down at the factory so I never would have succeeded. These were brand new PUI covers. You will need a good pair of hog ring pliers (long nose and spring loaded) I got mine from NPD for about 20 bucks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts