Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the track for the first time next weekend and just found out you have to have a neutral safety switch. My car does in fact start in gear..... This car was converted by pevious owner from a Manual to auto. All manual pedals are still in the car. I took the shift plate off the console and there is a switch on the shifter assy. (no wires on it or any where in the area. The trans has a reverse manual valve body if that matters. Is this the neutral safety switch? The steering coloum has a part that turns on it and when turned to far wont let the key come out. I dont know if the car was originally a 4 or 3 spd manual. How can I hook this switch up to pass tech inspection. I have alredy rented a trailer and will for sure lose my money if I cant fix this. Is there a way to wire the switch that is on the auto shift assy that is in the car now? Please help, thanks....

------------------
69' R/S Lemans blue,deluxe interior,houndstooth, 406, 12 bolt.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The original safety switch on your car should be on the clutch pedal bracket under the dash. There is a plug with two purple 12 gauge wires. You'll have to run two wires from this plug to your shifter switch. I don't know what kind of shifter you're using but you'll have to setup the switch so the contacts only close in park or neutral.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont see the plug with the two purple wires. There is a small round metal thing mounted up high on the bracket it has a lever and a small rod that attaches to the pedal . when the pedal moves the rod moves the lever on this thing. There is no where I can see that has a plug on it. I do have some purple wires one solid and one with a white tracer on it.It looks like they go to a plug of some sort on top of the steering coloumn. any suggestions?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The switch on top of the steering column sounds like the correct one for an automatic. Originaly there was a linkage that went from the tranny to the base of the column under the hood. When you moved the shifter it would move the part of the column below the key up and down. This would activate the neutral safety and reverse light switch and by putting the car in park would lock the steering and allow you to remove the key. On a manual car this linkage was connected to the reverse linkage on the tranny and you had to put the car in reverse to get the key out. The switch you found on the clutch bracket only allowed the car to be started with the clutch pedal depressed. The two purple wires going to the switch on the column are the ones you need. Since you have a reverse pattern valve body I doubt there's anyway to make the column switch work as intended. You'll have to use a shifter mounted switch wired to the two purple wires under the dash. I don't know what kind of shifter you're using but the aftermarket ones are usually set up this way.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I,ll see if I can get the purple wires to work. I'm using a factory floor mount shifter in a console. Does one of the two purple wires in question go to the starter? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
500 Posts
One of the purple wires comes from the start terminal on the ignition switch. The other goes through the bulkhead on the firewall to the starter solenoid.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

1 - 6 of 6 Posts